Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Starter measurements  (Read 3438 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Yeast Starter measurements
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 06:33:26 am »
Lacking any software, can I simply put it in the fridge after the krausen falls?

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 06:39:10 am »
Do not wait too long. When the starter has its creamy color I should put it into the fridge.

A photo just before I putted the starter into the fridge. As in my previous post mentioned this was the moment the CO2 production decreased.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:43:56 am by Henielma »
Automated mashing and fermentation is not so strange

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 01:28:26 pm »
Now that's something I don't have.  Where do I get one and how much?  Christmas is around the corner!

Mac

How important is maintaining the starter temp? It's sitting around 70 now, didn't want to bother keeping the flask in a water bath or anything over the 24 hours.

The needed time for a starter is also depending of the room temperature. It is not needed to control the temperature for a starter.

Last time I made a starter I used my CO2 production sensor system. In the following screenshot you can see the temperature rise of the starter during its time on the stir plate.

The light yellow curve is the ambient temperature and the red curve is the temperature of the 1 liter starter. You can see the rising of the temperature from 22 degrees C to 25 degrees C. (In the beginning this sensor was on the ground)

The purple curve is the CO2 production in time. When the production of the CO2 of the starter decreases I placed the starter into the fridge. A few days later I used the starter and the yeast was in very good condition because the CO2 production of that badge started in 4 hours.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »
Just a note - an airlock is unnecessary and with a stir plate, it actually isn't helpful.  Foil over the top allows some O2 to get in there, as I understand it.

That software seems very interesting, I must say.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 03:31:26 pm »
You can find it on ebay searching with the term "Tcontrol-IO"

Now that's something I don't have.  Where do I get one and how much?  Christmas is around the corner!

Mac

How important is maintaining the starter temp? It's sitting around 70 now, didn't want to bother keeping the flask in a water bath or anything over the 24 hours.

The needed time for a starter is also depending of the room temperature. It is not needed to control the temperature for a starter.

Last time I made a starter I used my CO2 production sensor system. In the following screenshot you can see the temperature rise of the starter during its time on the stir plate.

The light yellow curve is the ambient temperature and the red curve is the temperature of the 1 liter starter. You can see the rising of the temperature from 22 degrees C to 25 degrees C. (In the beginning this sensor was on the ground)

The purple curve is the CO2 production in time. When the production of the CO2 of the starter decreases I placed the starter into the fridge. A few days later I used the starter and the yeast was in very good condition because the CO2 production of that badge started in 4 hours.

Just a note - an airlock is unnecessary and with a stir plate, it actually isn't helpful.  Foil over the top allows some O2 to get in there, as I understand it.

That software seems very interesting, I must say.

I do not use an airlock here but a hose to the CO2 production sensor. Your right, normally when I do not use Tcontrol to follow the starter progress I do use Aluminium foil.
Automated mashing and fermentation is not so strange