Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refracto FG reading and 1056 yeast  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
Refracto FG reading and 1056 yeast
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:19:39 pm »
This is the first time I've used liquid 1056 yeast! Wow, the stuff just goes and goes, it seems! On one of my fermenters, it is still producing (slow, mind you) bubbles in the air lock after 2 weeks. I was thinking it was going to be time to keg, but I don't know. The OG was 1.057 using refractometer. I also used refractometer after 2 weeks and get a reading of 1.027.....I know there is a formula for figuring in the alcohol using refractometer, but I forget. The ABV is supposed to be about 5.2% by now. It started our at about 72 degreees, and then has been about average of 62-65 degrees.

I have an even I need these for by Dec 7th, (have 6 brews that need to be kegged and carbonated by then) but I don't want 3.5% beer...... given these numbers, am I ok, or should I wait. Am I figuring right on the lower ABV or is it skewed because of refractometer? Thanks....

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Refracto FG reading and 1056 yeast
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:10:22 pm »
Most likely very skewed by the refractometer.  Your best tool is to use a hydrometer reading for final gravity simply b/c alcohol throws off the refractometer.  Take a hydrometer reading and let us know what your FG is.  Don't forget to compensate for temperature correction of the beer at time of reading based on what your hydrometer is calibrated for (most are either 60F or 68F). 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Lylebobyle

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:34:45 am »
Ok, cool....using that formula, it puts me at about 5.4% ABV :)   Thanks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:40:37 pm »
no problem. It's best to verify with a hydrometer and adjust the adjustment factor in the calculator to match your hydro reading. once you have that the calculator is very accurate until you get into the big big beers.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce