Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tap-A-Draft  (Read 1582 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Tap-A-Draft
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:17:03 pm »
Flipping through a More Beer catalog and saw this. Anyone tried them? Seems pretty cool for a guy like me with no keg setup currently. My only concern is that 1) they blow up in my face and 2) they blow up in the refrigerator.

http://morebeer.com/products/tapadraft-homebrew-setup.html

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Tap-A-Draft
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 02:51:46 pm »
To answer your question: they do not blow up.

I started with them. It got me out of bottling. Great for parties. But after a year of pretty much constant use, the valve started leaking CO2. In the end, I'd go thru three or four CO2 cartridges for one jug of beer. (5 gal fits in three jugs.)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 03:34:33 pm »
I've never used them, but if you have any interest in getting into kegging I think you're better off getting a small keg (1.75 to 2.5 gallon) and either a small CO2 tank or a portable keg charger that uses CO2 cartridges. It's going to be a lot more durable and the equipment will all still be usable whenever you decide to get a full kegging setup.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »
Yes, you're better off with a small keg but the investment is more.

If you don't like kegging the kegs hold their value (as well as beer).  I'm not sure if there's a market for a used tap-a-draft.

I started off using mini-kegs.  Still use them occasionally, but not so much.  They work, but they're not the best.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 01:52:25 pm »
Good points. As often as I brew (now) I like the idea of low entry cost, convenience of not having to fill up CO2 somewhere, and the fact that I can put these small jugs in my main refrigerator.

With any CO2 system, do you constantly have to add pressure, or simply charge it once and it should hold over time?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 02:07:07 pm »
You don't have to "constantly" add pressure, but every time you pour a pint you will lose pressure.

Most people leave their kegs hooked up at serving pressure.  Some of us pour off of head pressure and top up the CO2 when the pressure gets low.

I don't pour too many pints at once, so I go with head pressure.  The keg will equalize over time, which means the beer will get less carbonated unless you hit it with more pressure.

EDIT:  You probably recognize this, but you pay for the convenience of not having to refill CO2.  I get a 5 - 15lb tank filled for $20.  The small cartridges are maybe as low as $0.50 if you buy them in bulk.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:08:53 pm by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton