Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: another burner recommendation thread  (Read 4136 times)

Offline thatgeekguy

• Cellarman
Re: another burner recommendation thread
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:21 am »
Blichmann is worth the money, built like a tank and stainless doesn't rust. Sips gas and heats fast. Spend the extra for the leg extensions, it makes brew day much easier on the back.
I'm only here for the beer....

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 11:35:46 am »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 12:23:49 pm »
I love my Blichmann. I've used a few other burners (camp chef type), but nothing has matched the Blichmann so far. Definitely worth the money, and definitely get the leg extensions.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline lacoryell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 10:08:55 pm »
I originally used a banjo burner and went thru a lot of propane.  Bought a Blichmann with the leg extensions.  It sips the propane compared to the banjo and heats a 10 gal batch quickly.  I now have 2 Blichmann burners in the system.  Well worth the price.  You get what you pay for.

Offline thebottlefarm

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »
Looking at the blichman the burner itself looks pretty similar to some of the generic banjo burners out there, am I missing something about it, that could be accounting for it's notably improved performance over other burners?
AO

narvin

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »
My friend's banjo cooker always freezes the tank. If you have a good wind screen you can dial it back enough, but otherwise you're stuck dealing with a tub of hot water and frustration if you're using the standard 20 lb propane exchange.

I use the bayou classic and it's plenty for a 20 gallon pot.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 05:06:54 pm »
My friend's banjo cooker always freezes the tank. If you have a good wind screen you can dial it back enough, but otherwise you're stuck dealing with a tub of hot water and frustration if you're using the standard 20 lb propane exchange.

I've been told that they ought to be run on larger tanks to keep that from happening

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »
Another Blichmann propane burner recommendation here, although full disclosure it is the only burner I've used... never needed another.  I do have some untested BoilCoils that should be hooked up by this weekend, but if you're definitely brewing outdoors, the Blichmann propane burner works great. 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 07:17:02 am »
For now, I ended up getting a 10 psi regulator to replace the 5 psi which came with the burner. I found it on amazon for like $7 so if it is extremely inefficient or not much of an improvement it won't be a big loss. I will get a good burner one day...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

narvin

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 08:25:47 am »

I've been told that they ought to be run on larger tanks to keep that from happening

Yep, that's a solution but it's not convenient for a lot of people, so it's something to keep in mind.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 08:35:19 am »
Right. Especially if your 5s are getting the job done. I want 20s but my wallet tightens up every time I shop for them.

Some day I will build a big 3 burner stand and when I do that I'll get one big bottle and have the gas delivered. Till then my money goes to other toys
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:37:34 am by klickitat jim »