Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Shots  (Read 2058 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Hop Shots
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:52:50 pm »
Anyone know if this stuff is supposed to keep frozen? Just realized I didn't do so over the past week or so while waiting to brew my kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/hopshot.html

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Hop Shots
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »
Solid question. I would email the vendor and ask what they do.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:20:17 pm »
I didn't freeze mine for a couple years and recently used it and it turned out fine.  I think it keeps for a really long time in its concentrated paste form.  One of its advantages perhaps.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:57:56 am »
I have frozen them...in fact I have one in the freezer now.  I understand that they will turn color when they go bad.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 11:17:52 am »
About the color...mine are certainly not clear and golden like the pics show online. Mine are dark green. Called NB and they said that's normal. Further looking around and I learned it depends on how they extract them.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:35:46 pm »
Mine remained a yellow paste for like 3 years.  No noticeable color change.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »
Do they really leave everything sticky?

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:58:45 pm »
Yep.  Very very sticky.  Oily.
Dave

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 04:02:02 pm »

Bummer. I've been wanting to order some from yakima, but that doesn't sound too fun. I am a rinse only guy when it comes to my kettle and chiller. Once or twice a year I'll scrub with barkeepers friend.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:12:32 pm »

Bummer. I've been wanting to order some from yakima, but that doesn't sound too fun. I am a rinse only guy when it comes to my kettle and chiller. Once or twice a year I'll scrub with barkeepers friend.

It is not hard to get clean the kettle.  It does tend to clog up my scrub sponge though.  It feels like pitch, but cleans much easier. 

The real value is that it doesn't add the volume of hop material that pellets do.  I want my IPAs maxed out on IBUs and flavor/aroma additions, and that takes a lot of hops (my latest 5 gallon IPA batch took 13 oz. of hops in addition to the hop shot for bittering).
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 03:06:50 am »

It is not hard to get clean the kettle.  It does tend to clog up my scrub sponge though.  It feels like pitch, but cleans much easier. 

The real value is that it doesn't add the volume of hop material that pellets do.  I want my IPAs maxed out on IBUs and flavor/aroma additions, and that takes a lot of hops (my latest 5 gallon IPA batch took 13 oz. of hops in addition to the hop shot for bittering).

13oz of hops in a 5 gal batch? Just curious how do you add them in bag or just drop them in and filter out later?
Jimmykx250

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 10:55:34 am »
I use one of these stainless filters: http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php
(BTW, this filter also doubles as a lautering filter)

I use a plate chiller, so I want to eliminate as much of the hop material from the wort as possible so flushing doesn't take  too long.   

And to clarify, 5 oz. of the above figure is dry-hopping in the fermenter.
Steve
BJCP #D1667