Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry yeast in a German pils  (Read 8578 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Dry yeast in a German pils
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:37:14 am »
It's getting time for me to start brewing my summer pils, 4 cornies worth, and for the first time I'm considering dry yeast.  I'd appreciate hearing from those who have actually used dry yeast in a German pils.  I'm not willing to use dry yeast simply because it's easier, but only if it will produce a pils equal or near-equal to a liquid yeast strain.  Tell me straight, please.  Any worthy dry strains out there?

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Dry yeast in a German pils
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:17:37 am »
I have used the Saflager yeast in a Classic American Pils, for which I usually use a liquid Bohemian (Czech) yeast strain.  The dry yeast produced an alright beer, fermenting in the upper 40s, but I would not try it again.  I found the finished beer lacking in the crisp, dry character I usually get with the Bohemian strain.  Overall it was a decent, clean lager, but other brewers I know have had fruity off flavors from the same strain (likely at higher fermentation temps), and my impression was that it took slightly longer to finish, needed to lager for a longer time before clearing, and was not nearly as clean as the beer produced using the liquid strain.  I have since reproduced the beer using the liquid Budvar strain, and again had a superior beer with a cleaner finish.
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:16:32 am »
Unfortunately you are not going to find a very good dry yeast for a German pils. S-189 will work "ok", but no where near as good as a good liquid yeast.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:44:40 am »
I've heard good reports of 34/70 in pils, but have no personal experience.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19:11 pm »
Unfortunately you are not going to find a very good dry yeast for a German pils. S-189 will work "ok", but no where near as good as a good liquid yeast.
I am currently enjoying my 1st Pilsner brewed with this exact strain. S-189 it is so convenient to utilize and attain
the proper pitch rates.  I dry hopped the beer and have been lagering it about 4 months ....it is a really nice beer.
That yeast is prolly the reason, even tho this was the 1st time I built water from R.O. for brewing.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:51:04 am »
I am currently enjoying my 1st Pilsner brewed with this exact strain. S-189 it is so convenient to utilize and attain
the proper pitch rates.  I dry hopped the beer and have been lagering it about 4 months ....it is a really nice beer.
That yeast is prolly the reason, even tho this was the 1st time I built water from R.O. for brewing.

So then, no lack of crispness?  Did you make any compensations since you were using a dry yeast?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:11:39 am »
the proper pitch rates.  I dry hopped the beer and have been lagering it about 4 months ....it is a really nice beer.

Yeah, it's OK. Just not on par with something like WLP830, for my tastes. I just got done drinking 10 gallons of pils a couple weeks ago made with the yeast. It didn't get dumped down the drain  ;), and I made a doppelbock with the slurry that turned out nice too. But I think if I am going to spend all thee time and energy making a lager I am going to just stick with liquid yeast from now on. That said, S-189 is the only dry yeast I have ever had good luck on with lager yeasts.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:18:14 am by majorvices »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:01:03 am »
I've heard good reports of 34/70 in pils, but have no personal experience.

This yeast ferments very clean and produces a fairly dry lager. I made a 10 gallon batch of a Boston Lager clone and split the the batch using WLP830 and 34/70. The 34/70 attenuated a tad bit more than the 830. I have never tried it on a Pilsner, but I was impressed with the performance of 34/70.
Ron Price

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:44:20 am »
I've wanted to try S-189, where can you get it?

Dave
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 11:30:15 am »
So then, no lack of crispness?  Did you make any compensations since you were using a dry yeast?
Guess I attribute crispness to the CO2.  But perhaps you are onto something there. I need to taste
it again.  I just pitched 2 packages of S-189 into a 5 gallon batch of wert that was at 1.065 O.G.
I secondaried in a SS Corny and it was REAL cold in the lager fridge.  It may have frozen not sure.
It did have some haze that I managed to clear up with polyclar. When I added the polyclar, I also cut
the finished beer with some distilled water to decrease the viscosity of the beer...lessen the gravity if you will.
Now the hop particles are settled out and it is good and clear.

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:40:05 pm »
Funny you should ask, I brewed 12 gallons of German Pilsner Wednesday and split it between S-189 and Zurich Lager from White Labs, since I believe they are supposed to be the same strain, but it is way to early to have results.
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:43:17 pm »
Guess I attribute crispness to the CO2.  But perhaps you are onto something there. I need to taste
it again.  I just pitched 2 packages of S-189 into a 5 gallon batch of wert that was at 1.065 O.G.
I secondaried in a SS Corny and it was REAL cold in the lager fridge.  It may have frozen not sure.
It did have some haze that I managed to clear up with polyclar. When I added the polyclar, I also cut
the finished beer with some distilled water to decrease the viscosity of the beer...lessen the gravity if you will.
Now the hop particles are settled out and it is good and clear.
Ok, Tasting again....nice and crisp. Maybe not as crisp as a tater chip but not bad. And, I am sure
it is the CO2 that makes that sensation on my palate.

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 05:50:47 am »
189 seems a bit crisper but 34/70 is good as is 23 (Dortmunder type)...FWIW,I understand from my microbrewery/brewpub friends that the tilt is DEFINITELY to dry yeast-equal flavor MOST of the time longer shelf life than a slurry

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:37:30 am »
I will definately use this yeast again it is way convenient not to have to piddle with a starter.