Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitching rate effects (experimental results)  (Read 16089 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Pitching rate effects (experimental results)
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 03:05:03 pm »
My MO is just to read the first paragraph and the last paragraph. If there's more to it then that I give up. Hey, I did manage to read all of the Dune series and I understood at least 45 percent of it.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 03:10:45 pm »
http://www.mbaa.com/TechQuarterly/Abstracts/1996/tq96ab09.htm

"It was also found that higher pitching rates led to lower bitterness unit levels in the resulting beers (possibly due to the uptake of bitter substances by yeast cell walls and/or to increased foaming during fermentation) . . ."

I think it's cool that the tasters in Sean's experiment perceived the beer with the higher pitching rate to be less bitter.

It would be really awesome if someone who had access to and has read these scientific studies would put together a short summary of the results most relevant to homebrewers. Then we could all share in the knowledge. If the summary was citated, then people who were interested in more detailed results would have a guide as to which articles they might want to purchase in full.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 06:53:07 am »
I thought that was interesting too.  More than a few times I've questioned why some of my brews seemed more bitter than expected with astringency issues from time to time.  I use mostly dry yeast and usually teeter on the edge of underpitching anyway and then consider the date code on some packets.  I'm glad Sean did this home style experiment and shared it with us, I've learned something from it.   :)  8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:55:37 am by dean »

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 03:36:38 pm »
not that this matters much but

i was a nuclear engineer and am now a doctor (why i am now broke)
i lived in hawaii but struggled with flip flops.

i don't have to know what wavelength of light is coming off my truck to know i love the old gray mare

i know that if i prime my lawnmower 3 times it will start if i prime it twice most times it won't (and i am a poor beer judge but i still enjoy a cold bud after mowing the lawn)

some people have good results with fly sparging, some with batch

as presented the information is helpful so that most of us can experiment and find out what works on  our own brew
Don AHA member