General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Dry yeast in a German pils

(1/4) > >>

roguejim:
It's getting time for me to start brewing my summer pils, 4 cornies worth, and for the first time I'm considering dry yeast.  I'd appreciate hearing from those who have actually used dry yeast in a German pils.  I'm not willing to use dry yeast simply because it's easier, but only if it will produce a pils equal or near-equal to a liquid yeast strain.  Tell me straight, please.  Any worthy dry strains out there?

karlh:
I have used the Saflager yeast in a Classic American Pils, for which I usually use a liquid Bohemian (Czech) yeast strain.  The dry yeast produced an alright beer, fermenting in the upper 40s, but I would not try it again.  I found the finished beer lacking in the crisp, dry character I usually get with the Bohemian strain.  Overall it was a decent, clean lager, but other brewers I know have had fruity off flavors from the same strain (likely at higher fermentation temps), and my impression was that it took slightly longer to finish, needed to lager for a longer time before clearing, and was not nearly as clean as the beer produced using the liquid strain.  I have since reproduced the beer using the liquid Budvar strain, and again had a superior beer with a cleaner finish.

majorvices:
Unfortunately you are not going to find a very good dry yeast for a German pils. S-189 will work "ok", but no where near as good as a good liquid yeast.

denny:
I've heard good reports of 34/70 in pils, but have no personal experience.

1vertical:

--- Quote from: majorvices on April 29, 2010, 07:16:32 AM ---Unfortunately you are not going to find a very good dry yeast for a German pils. S-189 will work "ok", but no where near as good as a good liquid yeast.

--- End quote ---
I am currently enjoying my 1st Pilsner brewed with this exact strain. S-189 it is so convenient to utilize and attain
the proper pitch rates.  I dry hopped the beer and have been lagering it about 4 months ....it is a really nice beer.
That yeast is prolly the reason, even tho this was the 1st time I built water from R.O. for brewing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version