Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Proud pop with his pale ale  (Read 3734 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Proud pop with his pale ale
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 06:45:18 pm »
maybe i just need to give them more time. I have also used 1217 with similar results. Besides the diacetyl it is very clean and it does clear up. I had a pale ale score 42 with that yeast last year at dredhop. At the moment I have 10 gallons of IPA with 1056 in one and wlp090 in the other. 1056 has no detectable diacetyl to me while the wlp 090 is not over powering but definitely present.
Interesting. I thought a local brewpub used an English Ale yeast as their house strain because all their beers have a touch of diacetyl in them. I asked the brewer what they used and he said WLP090. It all makes sense to me now.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 07:12:30 pm »

maybe i just need to give them more time. I have also used 1217 with similar results. Besides the diacetyl it is very clean and it does clear up. I had a pale ale score 42 with that yeast last year at dredhop. At the moment I have 10 gallons of IPA with 1056 in one and wlp090 in the other. 1056 has no detectable diacetyl to me while the wlp 090 is not over powering but definitely present.
Interesting. I thought a local brewpub used an English Ale yeast as their house strain because all their beers have a touch of diacetyl in them. I asked the brewer what they used and he said WLP090. It all makes sense to me now.

For me, it's not there. I ferment at 63f for 3 days then up to 70 to finish. Not a trace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Online BrewBama

Proud pop with his pale ale
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 07:43:55 pm »
Beautiful beers guys. I especially like the CO2 bubbles - almost like champagne. I always get too impatient.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:46:32 pm by BrewBama »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 06:16:22 am »

Yeah, part of what I think would make 1217 or 090 attractive to a brewpub that makes a lot of American ales is the speed of fermentation - visible activity is basically done ~ 48 hours after it starts, FG in less than a week for average strength beers ( even AIPA). But if the brewpub pushed the envelope time wise to get beers on line, I could see diacetyl being more apparent. I left it in primary for 3 weeks like I often end up doing, with a ramp up @ ~ 70F for the last several days, dry hopped a week and tapped at a month. No diacetyl, and I'm not a fan of any.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:27:36 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 07:18:25 am »

Yeah, part of what I think would make 1217 or 090 attractive to a brewpub that makes a lot of American ales is the speed of fermentation - visible activity is basically done ~ 48 hours after it starts, FG in less than a week for average strength beers ( even AIPA). But if the brewpub pushed the envelope time wise to get beers on line, I could see diacetyl being more apparent. I left it in primary for 3 weeks like I often end up doing, with a ramp up @ ~ 70F for the last several days, dry hopped a week and tapped at a month. No diacetyl, and I'm not a fan.

" No diacetyl, and I'm not a fan."  no diacetyl and that's why you're not a fan?

edit: oh i get it now...there wasnt any diacetyl and your not a fan of diacetyl. yeah thats been my experience also..quick, clean and no need to rush after fermentation because you pick up time anyway in the process so i just let it sit during temp ramp up and it cleans everything up. anything left get cleaned up in the cold crash and time at 34F IME.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:22:52 am by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:00 am »

oh i get it now...there wasnt any diacetyl and your not a fan of diacetyl.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I wasn't clear.  I better get some more coffee !
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 07:43:00 am »

oh i get it now...there wasnt any diacetyl and your not a fan of diacetyl.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I wasn't clear.  I better get some more coffee !

ha- i hear ya. i think you're spot on with likelihood of them rushing to finished product and perhaps leaving diacetyl (and other things for that matter) from not getting cleaned up. many a brew and yeast will fall prey to that trap-time is good.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 07:48:57 am »
Beautiful beers guys. I especially like the CO2 bubbles - almost like champagne. I always get too impatient.
Yes, they're quite effervescent. My beers don't really do that. I carbonated at 8 PSI at 35F. Perhaps I'm not carbonating high enough, but I don't really care that much.
What do you guys think really causes that? Is it the glassware or is it carbonating higher? I'm set at like 2.3 volumes of co2 right now.

I don't use finings. My beers usually take a few weeks to clear. No big deal though, the beers tend to round out a bit more after a tad more conditioning.
Jesse

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 07:53:10 am »
Yes, they're quite effervescent. My beers don't really do that. I carbonated at 8 PSI at 35F. Perhaps I'm not carbonating high enough, but I don't really care that much.
What do you guys think really causes that? Is it the glassware or is it carbonating higher? I'm set at like 2.3 volumes of co2 right now.

I don't use finings. My beers usually take a few weeks to clear. No big deal though, the beers tend to round out a bit more after a tad more conditioning.

so for my picture, its just poured from the tap so thats part of it. also keg is getting near the end after party this weekend and i forgot to turn c02 off, so its a touch more carbonated than average.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: