Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 25G RIMS Burner Help  (Read 6784 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 25G RIMS Burner Help
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:40:31 pm »
Just wondering how your burners turned out.  I use 20 tip burners and my jet tip to kettle is about 12".  I do like these burners, even though many do not like them.

I ended up buying the 32 tip burners.  I just finished drilling out the pots for the ball valves, thermometers and site glasses.  Got the swollen hand to prove it as the bit started catching as it dulled.

Going to start work on the gas retrofitting this week.  Hoping to have it done by the end of T-Day weekend for a dry run.  I'll post a picture when it's done with how it worked.  Have to say I'm a little nervous.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »
Just wondering how your burners turned out.  I use 20 tip burners and my jet tip to kettle is about 12".  I do like these burners, even though many do not like them.

Also Coolman, why did you go with 12" to the kettle.  Does that work well?  How about on low heat?  Trying to figure that out for the 32 tip burners.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:43 am »
I measured my burners and it is actually 15" from burner tip to kettle.  I have a 3 tier sculpture with 25 gallon kettles, and 120qt cooler MLT. I ran a 3/4" flex line from the meter, and 3/4" pipe all the way to the burner.  I was worried about running both burners full out at the same time.   At the burner I used a bell reducer to the 1/2" going into the burner.  I generally do 13-15 gallon batches and use a HERMS in my HLT.  Make sure you have a good wind screen for dropping down the flame with this style of burner.  My wind screen is just 1/8" plate in a 20" x20" square.  I bought a cheap burner from a food supply for wok burners.  I had a lot of trouble with soot.  I ended up buying one burner from Tejassmokers.  It was much more expensive, but was bench tuned.  I found a bit that matched the orifice size of that burner. I believe it was 15 guage, and I drilled out the other burner.  To answer your question:
These burners are designed to run full enough to draw air into the mix.  This is why I have that 15" gap.  IMO people using this style of burner put them way too close to the kettle.  It forces you to run the burner at levels that hurt its designed performance.  I crank the burner up when I start and the flame is nice with no soot.  Literally the flame is up to the bottom of the kettle.  It then gives me enough room to keep the flame strong enough to keep a good mix of air and NG going into the burner, even when dropping down the heat.  I just use gas ball valves to control the flame.   I have another burner in an old stand, much like a turkey fryer.  It is useless at 6" from the kettle.  I have to turn the flame so low that it blacks my pot with soot.  I would highly recommend test burning your burner and looking at the flame height.  I think you will find that it will burn best when you feed it a lot of gas.  This style of burner works great for me.  It didn't until I gave it some room.  I have no trouble bringing 23 gallons up to boil and dropping the temp down controlling my boil intensity.  Long and short, give your burners some room to work.  Hope this helps you.   
Jeff B

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 07:50:57 am »
Very helpful, thanks.  Definitely going to run it first to see now....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 06:56:04 am »
Got the boil kettle burner about 8" from the kettle but the others are about 5" due to the extra ball valve for the pilots. I'm running a test this weekend and will post the final layout. It's just about there. Bought a kicking plate chiller from Duda Energy.  Brings 10 gallons to 68F in 3.1 minutes!  Can't wait to run the rig.

BTW-how do you guys clean up after brewing?  I bought 50# of PBW. Just run that through the system and out the chiller?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave Zach

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:47 am »
I'll be interested to see how your burners work.  I use PBWish cleaner after I brew.  Heat it to 160 and ciculate it until it looks good and clean.  I then run saniclean through the system before i put it away.  I breakdown any ball valves on the cold wort side too.  The rest get cleaned about every 3rd or 4th batch.  Just put 1450 on the stirplate for Sunday.  Keep us updated on how it goes.
Jeff B

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 11:37:54 am »
Burners are too close.  That being said, my gas guy reduced to 1/2" and then back to 3/4" pipe.  Makes absolutely no sense.  He is fixing it tomorrow so I can test again and lower to the appropriate height.  The boil kettle burner performed pretty well, but still some soot.  Total cake on the HLT and it's at the end of the rig.  Here's a photo.  I've mounted the plate chiller since.  It is badass!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92369419@N03/16037175555/

Dave Zach

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:48 pm »
Your new rig is sweet!  Yea I would guess you drop almost down to the lower tubing and you will be about right.  I run mine on 3/4" and bell down to 1/2" into the burner.  You need enough distance to get the air flowing.  Those burners will heat those kettles in no time.  I'm doing 15 gallons of Kate the Great on Sunday.  It has been a while since I've brewed, I'm stoked.  I wish I had a control panel like you.  Once I dropped mine and gave them the distance for more gas, I fell in love with them.  Keep us posted, nice work on it.   
Jeff B

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 08:09:41 am »
Your new rig is sweet!  Yea I would guess you drop almost down to the lower tubing and you will be about right.  I run mine on 3/4" and bell down to 1/2" into the burner.  You need enough distance to get the air flowing.  Those burners will heat those kettles in no time.  I'm doing 15 gallons of Kate the Great on Sunday.  It has been a while since I've brewed, I'm stoked.  I wish I had a control panel like you.  Once I dropped mine and gave them the distance for more gas, I fell in love with them.  Keep us posted, nice work on it.

Thanks Coolman!  Posting the finished rig on a new thread.  Dropped the burners and it's running beautifully!  Thanks for all of your help!

Dave
Dave Zach