Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scales  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Scales
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:14:06 pm »
If in the market for a scale to measure grain or filling sealed kegs, do not buy the one linked below. It has a lock feature that automatically turns on after 3 seconds and holds for 10. This makes it useless for my needs.

Sending it back and buying the second link.

I picked the first one due to its capacity being over but close to what I would need. Figure the most I would weigh would be a full keg plus piece of wood as a base. I wanted to avoid a scale with nearly twice what I would ever weigh. Logic being that the greater the range, the worse the accuracy across that range. My logic here may not apply as these are by no means precision scales. I know I have seen scales rated with multiple variances across the weight range (ie +/- 1oz from 1-20lbs, +/- 2oz 20-60, yada yada yada).

Second scale has the detached display, which I like, but it is permanently detached. I think I can live with it.

Weighmax 2822-75LB postal shipping scale, Battery and AC Adapter Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U4OEDS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_uisBub0QV06PY

Accuteck ShipPro 110lbs x 0.1 oz. Digital Shipping Postal Scale, Black (W-8580-110-Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYA0RC2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_5psBub1E2EZ02
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:24:55 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Scales
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »
this is a stupid question, but I don't understand the use of a scale when filling sealed kegs?  i'm guessing you cut off the siphon when you reach a certain weight? 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 04:57:00 pm »

this is a stupid question, but I don't understand the use of a scale when filling sealed kegs?  i'm guessing you cut off the siphon when you reach a certain weight?
Not a stupid question. That is exactly the idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:54:07 am »
Interesting - so how much does a Cornie of beer weigh (net of the keg, i.e. tare weight)? Around 40 pounds?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:03:08 am »
Interesting - so how much does a Cornie of beer weigh (net of the keg, i.e. tare weight)? Around 40 pounds?
Yep... ~42 lbs.  I use the weight to vol tool in beersmith to help calculate.  51 lbs total for 5 gals of 1.012 beer with the corny empty weight of 8.8 lbs. 
-Tony