Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need a new keezer  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Need a new keezer
« on: December 26, 2014, 07:46:01 am »
Keezer died sometime in the last week. Beer is coming out a about 55° and the thermostat clicks over are 50°. Time to get a new one.

What models are people digging these days?

5 ball lock on the floor would be ideal, but 4 would be workable. I want the collar to be minimal as I hate lifting kegs over. I've been going over the HBT layouts thread, but wanted to ask some folks I trust.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: Need a new keezer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 09:36:41 am »
I have a couple Maytag 14 CF that work great. One for fermenting/crashing the other for carbing/lagering & bottles. We use a 7CF  Holiday from HD that holds four cornies. All 3+ years old and running strong with dual stage Ranco  or single Johnson Control.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 09:55:02 am »

I have a couple Maytag 14 CF that work great. One for fermenting/crashing the other for carbing/lagering & bottles. We use a 7CF  Holiday from HD that holds four cornies. All 3+ years old and running strong with dual stage Ranco  or single Johnson Control.
Does the holiday hold four without a collar?

I just dug out the model number of my ferm freezer and I think it could hold 5, maybe 6, ball locks on the floor. Maybe I should promote it to keezer and look for a new ferm freezer. Any idea if two 6 gallon better bottles would fit without a collar?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 12:13:52 pm »

Does the holiday hold four without a collar?

I just dug out the model number of my ferm freezer and I think it could hold 5, maybe 6, ball locks on the floor. Maybe I should promote it to keezer and look for a new ferm freezer. Any idea if two 6 gallon better bottles would fit without a collar?
No, I had to add a collar to the Holiday to fit four cornies, one sits on the condenser shelf. If I had it to do over I would have made my keezer out of a 14CF. Not that much more floor space but much more versatility, options for configuration and collar optional. I do believe one could fit two six gallon better bottles into the Holiday or most other 7 CF models. I would take a couple empty ones down to Lowe's/HD and test to be sure. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 05:37:17 pm »

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=5293&mode=buyUsedOnly&sid=IDx20110411x000008&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=20551987&ds_e_ad_type=pla

This is a Sears 8.8 cu ft chest freezer.  Fits: 6 ball lock kegs (2 on shelf, 4 on floor), co2 with dual regulator, and a cpu fan to blow cold air to the top of the keezer.  Yes, I know... 6 kegs... only 4 taps.  I will need to place an order soon...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 05:49:50 pm »
Pretty sure that is the same model I have, but mine is white. Couldn't fit five on the floor? I haven't had the time to test mine out. Family in town and car hasn't been out of the garage long enough for me to get the empty kegs out.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »
Pretty sure that is the same model I have, but mine is white. Couldn't fit five on the floor? I haven't had the time to test mine out. Family in town and car hasn't been out of the garage long enough for me to get the empty kegs out.
Nope.  Close, but 5 just won't quite fit on the floor. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 05:59:03 pm »
And that's a bummer. I was really hoping to build a shorter collar this time.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 06:14:13 pm »
And that's a bummer. I was really hoping to build a shorter collar this time.
Yeah you definitely need a 2x8 collar if you want to use the shelf for a keg.  Just barely fits. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 06:42:17 pm »
That sucks, Steve. Been down that road more than once. Hopefully you can get a new one soon.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »
No worries. It only sucks since I live on the second floor. I will need to get a buddy over here to help me get rid of the old one, bring up the less old one, and then pickup the new one. I think I will skip the collar for a while, at least until after the move. I missed the sale on the magic chef, this week's sale at least.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 07:53:57 pm »
I'm going to a fridge conversion when my freezer kegerator dies, I think. They're more versatile: you don't need a temp controller, you can use the freezer for hops, they're a little more space efficient. It's harder to get kegs out, I know, but for the other reasons stated, I think that could be worth the trouble.
Thought about a fridge? Or are you set on a freezer?
Jesse

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 08:26:49 pm »
Toyed with the idea, but considering the keezer resides in the dining room, a fridge might seem out of place there. That looks even more stupid in text than it sounded in my head. Maybe one of those narrow apartment sized fridges.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 08:38:36 pm »

http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=5293&mode=buyUsedOnly&sid=IDx20110411x000008&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=20551987&ds_e_ad_type=pla

This is a Sears 8.8 cu ft chest freezer.  Fits: 6 ball lock kegs (2 on shelf, 4 on floor), co2 with dual regulator, and a cpu fan to blow cold air to the top of the keezer.  Yes, I know... 6 kegs... only 4 taps.  I will need to place an order soon...
That is really a great size for a kegerator IMO. Four standard cornies without a collar.  I usually have a couple 3 gallon cornies in the rotation so a set up like that could accommodate 4 standard and 2, 3 gallon kegs without a collar.  That could that work for you. I'm always going to have a collar until my back gives out or I build a walk in.  ::)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
BJCP Certified