Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Day  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Great Day
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:31:32 am »
sun shinning - check
Helles mash temp and PH targets of 153F 5.35 - check
coffee- check
sausage, eggs- check
RDWHAHB- well it is 8:30am.... so soon, very soon.  ;D

How about you?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Great Day
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:02:51 am »
No brewing for me today, just trying to keep my hands off the 2 batches I have working. It is bright, sunny and beautiful down here this morning though, but cold, cold, cold!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:11:24 am »
No brewing for me today, just trying to keep my hands off the 2 batches I have working. It is bright, sunny and beautiful down here this morning though, but cold, cold, cold!
i hear ya-cold but snow has stopped after about 10inches and sunny. going ot be a great day for browns game tomorrow.....1st place Browns-who'd a thunk it??? :o
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:43:12 am »
Of course, just shortly after I move away from Cleveland.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:53:04 am »
Single decoction Helles here in IL.  I know I have stated that I don't find the need to decoct anymore, but a pro brewer convinced me to give it another try - and his Helles is spot on - I had a couple Thursday night with him.

So waiting to get the decoction to a boil for mash out .....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:44:14 am »
I am drinking some home-roasted coffee after polishing off some rye toast and scrambled eggs with cabot and scallions out of the garden. I'm brewing a tmave pivo and bottling an unseasonable biere de mars. Later I am roasting more coffee and cooking some chili. Busy day but at least it's all stuff I enjoy.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:50:39 am »
I am drinking some home-roasted coffee after polishing off some rye toast and scrambled eggs with cabot and scallions out of the garden. I'm brewing a tmave pivo and bottling an unseasonable biere de mars. Later I am roasting more coffee and cooking some chili. Busy day but at least it's all stuff I enjoy.

so the roasting coffee beans-whats the cost per pound un-roasted and whats the process? i've thought about it just never done the research yet. much better than buying whole roasted bean coffee?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:43:27 pm »
Nice, similar day here in Florida. Got started real early (for me) around 8:30. Had my celebration beer at 10:30, don't judge.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 08:09:45 pm »
Even though i woke to 0 degrees in my non insulated garage in beautiful idaho falls i brewed on for some unknown reason:) Brewing in this type of weather outdoors is not always a good idea for many reasons but we do what we must. After taking my hose out of my tub ( which i had to put it inside the night before for obvious reasons) and hooking up to chill i quickly straightened out the hose while the water was turned on and it exploded all over me and my garage. pretty much turned to ice immediately all over the floor and equipment:) It was nice and sunny though but good hell to cold to brew outside.

FLbrewer wish i was there. I am from WinterHaven FL miss the beach/surfing

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:23:08 pm »
Fire going, Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen playing on the stereo, no brewing to do so I'm organizing and tossing old crap I dont use. About time to crack a cold one.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:49 pm »
Its been a good day, but I went out to start a brew day and discovered my water hoses were frozen solid.  Eh, I'll do it next week.  It'll be warmer.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 10:33:44 am »

so the roasting coffee beans-whats the cost per pound un-roasted and whats the process? i've thought about it just never done the research yet. much better than buying whole roasted bean coffee?

Depending on the varieties it runs around $4-7 per pound of green coffee beans and after roasting you end up with about 80% of the weight due to water loss. Some varieties are more expensive (up to around $25/lb. for Kona) but I am still in the learning phase so I buy cheaper beans I can afford to experiment with.

It's a simple process. You are just heating up the beans and tracking it by temperature and appearance. I use a popcorn popper attached to a variable router speed control. My technique is slowly improving with it. There is nicer equipment out there but I thought I would learn on cheap equipment before upgrading. I bought the air popper at a thrift store for $6 and the variable control at harbor freight for $20.

Like brewing, it takes some time to develop your technique to the point it is competitive with what you buy at the store but also like brewing it's the easiest way and cheapest way to get the most customized cup of coffee for your preferences.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »
Brewed yesterday...

Lit the stove at 0530
Coffee - Dunkin Donuts...bagged
Breakfast - Home Smoked Coho and Blackberries
Bearded Lady Stout - Step Mash hit 5.3 PH (going Raspberry this time)

Cold for Houston but no frozen hoses....

Very good Brew Day...Done in time to take GF to the matinée

“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:59:29 pm »
Took a little more than 24 hours for my helles to show active fermentation.....remember when I first made lagers and pitched at too high a temp and they started within 12 hours. I would have freaked waiting 24 hours in the old days....now I just sit back and know pitching at 46F and waiting is the way to excellence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 01:08:28 am »
Took a little more than 24 hours for my helles to show active fermentation.....remember when I first made lagers and pitched at too high a temp and they started within 12 hours. I would have freaked waiting 24 hours in the old days....now I just sit back and know pitching at 46F and waiting is the way to excellence.

Aw, he's all grown up!  ;)

Regarding coffee - I also roast my own. For me it's not so much about saving money as it is about freshness. I drink work-provided swill during the week and my own good stuff on the weekends. I also use the hot air popper method, so the quantities are pretty small. I roast just enough to get me through a couple weekends. If I were buying pre-roasted stuff, it would be sitting in my cupboard getting stale. Green beans last a long time.