Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Great Day  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Great Day
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:03:41 am »
Took a little more than 24 hours for my helles to show active fermentation.....remember when I first made lagers and pitched at too high a temp and they started within 12 hours. I would have freaked waiting 24 hours in the old days....now I just sit back and know pitching at 46F and waiting is the way to excellence.

Aw, he's all grown up!  ;)

Regarding coffee - I also roast my own. For me it's not so much about saving money as it is about freshness. I drink work-provided swill during the week and my own good stuff on the weekends. I also use the hot air popper method, so the quantities are pretty small. I roast just enough to get me through a couple weekends. If I were buying pre-roasted stuff, it would be sitting in my cupboard getting stale. Green beans last a long time.

I use a wok to roast coffee.   I roasted 2 pounds yesterday which should last a little over 2 weeks.  The challenge I have is controlling temp and seeing the beans through the steam and smoke.  The max I can roast comfortably at one time is about 12 oz.

It's fairly easy and the results are so much better than a can from the store.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 09:14:34 am »
No brewing for me today, just trying to keep my hands off the 2 batches I have working. It is bright, sunny and beautiful down here this morning though, but cold, cold, cold!
i hear ya-cold but snow has stopped after about 10inches and sunny. going ot be a great day for browns game tomorrow.....1st place Browns-who'd a thunk it??? :o
I take the Browns to the superbowl every day. They're winners in my book!

I really wanted to brew this weekend, but my IPA wasn't ready to keg yet. Next weekend...

This weather sucks! It's like January already...ugh.
Jesse

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 09:39:05 am »
I got one of those Behmor coffee roasters for Christmas last year.  I enjoy doing it, but as it turns out it is no more economical to roast my own as to buy pre-roasted coffee from Costco - and I like them both equally.  So I buy the occasional couple of pounds of green coffee to roast, but mostly I drink Costco stuff.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 11:55:19 am »

Even though i woke to 0 degrees in my non insulated garage in beautiful idaho falls i brewed on for some unknown reason:) Brewing in this type of weather outdoors is not always a good idea for many reasons but we do what we must. After taking my hose out of my tub ( which i had to put it inside the night before for obvious reasons) and hooking up to chill i quickly straightened out the hose while the water was turned on and it exploded all over me and my garage. pretty much turned to ice immediately all over the floor and equipment:) It was nice and sunny though but good hell to cold to brew outside.

FLbrewer wish i was there. I am from WinterHaven FL miss the beach/surfing
Nice! Why'd you leave? Coming back?