Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Glass or plastic?  (Read 5233 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Glass or plastic?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 04:03:55 pm »
I still use the carboys that I have, often for ales.

A SS conical for primary and cornies for secondary (lagering) is what I use for my lagers.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 11:04:45 am »
I'm looking for pony kegs, they are 7.5 gal and should ferment a 5 gal batch without fermcap :)
I just bought some "slim" 1/4 barrels. They are as tall as a half-barrel and little wider than a corny. 7.75 gallons so I should get 5+ gallons from each one.

how much did you pay?
I got them for $80 each plus shipping from a wholesaler. When others tried he upped the price.
I still haven't used them yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks. I will probably use an orange carboy cap on each.
Brew on

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:57 pm »
A lot of people are moving towards the Better Bottles for safety and convenience of their weight. I have gotten rid of all my carboys except one 7.5 gallon and two 3 gallons I use for wines and meads. A few years back I bought two 10 gallon cornies and have used them exclusively for beer. They are expensive and hard to fine but they can be used as fermenters, serving kegs and I use them to store filtered water when not used as fermenters.

They are awesome!
Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 12:37:47 pm »
I've used Better Bottles for a few years and like them.  Soaking in Oxyclean or PBW cleans it, only once have I put a wash cloth in it to swirl off some extra gunk, probably could have soaked longer.  The suck back on the airlock when moving the bottle is the only major problem- fixed with using the milk crate, loosening the airlock or they also make a dry airlock which works well, albeit it is expensive.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 01:24:35 pm »
I've also heard of people using "milk cans", large stainless steel containers used in the dairy industry. Not sure how much they cost though.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »
i still use a plastic bucket even up to 4 weeks.  i know of no reason not to use a corny for the longer duration lagers as long as the batch size works, and i am tending toward smaller more varied batches rather than big volumes.  cornies arent very expensive considering.  i have thought about some of the plastic conicals also but again i think i am okay
Don AHA member