Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My First Ever Brew  (Read 7846 times)

Offline Gangles

• Cellarman
My First Ever Brew
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:02:38 am »
Hey all,

So I am absolutely new to the whole brewing thing.  I current have 3 different recipes I'm going to try over the next few weeks.  The first one, which is currently fermenting, is a German wheat beer.  This was my first batch ever and I'm excited for the outcome.  Here are some photos from the brewing yesterday:

I absolutely enjoyed myself.  For the most part everything went as I expected.  I look forward to bottling and tasting this round.  I did learn that I need (very much want) a copper or stainless wort chiller.  I also want a glass carboy or two.  And, instead of using re-usable synthetic hop bags, I'm just going to use single use hop bags.  Can't wait to brew up the other recipes.
-Bottled & Drinking: German Hefe
-Fermenting: German "Light"
-Next Up: American Cream Ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: My First Ever Brew
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:14:14 am »
first welcome to the game! looks like you had a great time. lots of great resources on the forum to tap into with questions, so take advantage.

yep a wort chiller comes in handy and helps get the wort chilled quickly and ready to pitch the yeast.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:15:45 am »
Welcome, have fun, and good luck

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:41:59 am »
Welcome !
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:21:06 am »
Looks great-

Just to reassure you - beer ALWAYS looks darker in the carboy than it will in the glass.
Now is the time for patience.  You may think you made beer, but you didn't  (HERESY!). You made a nice comfortable, sweet environment for the YEAST to make the beer.  However, yeast work on their own schedule, not yours.  Give them the time they need and they will reward you with great beer.

Good luck! 
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:36:58 am »
As Santoch said, give it the time it needs, not what the recipe says. Your best bet is to get the next batch going as soon as you have time and room to get a good supply going. The wort chiller is a great help. A lot of information and opinions here on the glass carboys: they allow you to see what's going on; they can be more difficult to clean with small opening; they are less likely to harbor any badness if cleaned properly; they are a lot more fragile than plastic or stainless; when they do fail, they can be very dangerous to both you and your wort. I have a couple glass carboys, and buying more was one of the first additions I made to my set up, bu they now mostly sit unused, as I now mainly use buckets and my new stainless Vessel. Welcome to the obsession and get ready to enjoy the best beer you have ever made!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

My First Ever Brew
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 10:07:41 am »
I have one 3 gallon and one 5 gallon glass. Both have been sitting for years. Over the years I have broken two and cut myself once. My cut was simply a slice on the palm and didn't require stitches though it bleed like mad. I know two brewers that were less than lucky. One nearly bled out and has permanent nerve and tendon damage in his arm. The second was luckier as his wife was able to react quickly.

I don't mean to make villains out of glass carboys, I just want to note the dangers.

That being said, I am solidly a better bottle user. When I do get around to swapping them out, I'm going spidel.

Offline Gangles

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:17:59 am »
Thank you for all the great information and offers of assistance.  Quick question regarding my airlock.  Here's a little video of what it looks like (about 1 hour ago):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1o9HVRG5Dg

This is approx. 40 hours of fermentation.  Is this to the point where I need to consider a blow off tube setup?  The brew I am doing does say in the instructions that it may or may not need a blow off tube.

Thanks!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 08:56:51 am »
You would use a blowoff if the krausen (foam on top of the beer) begins to get close to the airlock. If the krausen gets in the airlock, it could clog and make a nice mess.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 09:06:00 am »
Thank you for all the great information and offers of assistance.  Quick question regarding my airlock.  Here's a little video of what it looks like (about 1 hour ago):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1o9HVRG5Dg

This is approx. 40 hours of fermentation.  Is this to the point where I need to consider a blow off tube setup?  The brew I am doing does say in the instructions that it may or may not need a blow off tube.

Thanks!

I recommend using a blowoff for every brew. At least through primary fermentation. The moment the airlock clogs and your fermenting beer explodes all over the ceiling will more than likely ban you from home brewing beer.... Unless, of course, you're singke and live alone lol. I still wouldn't roll the dice.

I watched the video. This really isn't thst aggressive of a fermentation. I've had blowoff basins overflow.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:08:23 am by fmader »
Frank

Offline Gangles

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 09:55:53 am »
Great, thanks again for the info guys.  I did look at some photos of exploding beers.  Does not look fun.  I was going to use a bottle of vodka and a tube running from the airlock hole in carboy, but I couldn't get the airlock off. So I decided to leave and hope for the best.  I figure I have enough room (for now) in the carboy, but it's definitely moving up.

I'm engaged, we own a house, and have a Siberian Husky (dog).  If the beer exploded my dog would freak out (then probably drink the beer) and my fiance would take what's left of the beer and move it outside she said.  Then, of course, I'd have to clean it and listen to her yelling in my ear whilst cleaning.  Doesn't sound fun...

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 10:11:24 am »
Great, thanks again for the info guys.  I did look at some photos of exploding beers.  Does not look fun.  I was going to use a bottle of vodka and a tube running from the airlock hole in carboy, but I couldn't get the airlock off. So I decided to leave and hope for the best.  I figure I have enough room (for now) in the carboy, but it's definitely moving up.

I'm engaged, we own a house, and have a Siberian Husky (dog).  If the beer exploded my dog would freak out (then probably drink the beer) and my fiance would take what's left of the beer and move it outside she said.  Then, of course, I'd have to clean it and listen to her yelling in my ear whilst cleaning.  Doesn't sound fun...
Yep. That's why my brewery is now in the garage. 

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 11:37:02 am »

Just use sanitizer. You'll be spending a lot of money on vodka for every brew just for a blow off basin.
Frank

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 11:40:23 am »

I wouldn't waste a whole bottle of vodka for the blowoff tube. Mix up a small batch of sanitizer (star-san solution) and use that instead. Much less expensive and will work just as well.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline niels

• 1st Kit
    • Braumeisters.net - The international Speidel Braumeister owners community
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 11:43:03 am »
I wouldn't waste a whole bottle of vodka for the blowoff tube. Mix up a small batch of sanitizer (star-san solution) and use that instead. Much less expensive and will work just as well.
But you wouldn't be able to drink the remainders afterwards...

- Niels