Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Debbie Downer (Cleaning My EHERMS)  (Read 2125 times)

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
Debbie Downer (Cleaning My EHERMS)
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:34:40 am »
I hate to be a Debbie Downer on a Sunday morning but I just want to say I really hate cleaning my EHERMS and this is why.   First off I have a 20Gal HLT, 15Gal MT and kettle. HLT has a 50’ SS coil and this is my problem cleaning. I have a consistent problem with a thin algae like growth which shows its face upon recirculation to get to strike temp.  My process is much like “kals” , The Electric brewery with assuming the sparge will rinse most of the coil out so no worries but that’s not the case.  It seems clean but low and behold it’s not come next batch, Algae is back and lots of it.  I have started using Sheppard brothers shear 2000 (4oz Gal at 160F) caustic and their acid (4oz Gal at 120F) to clean with a circulation of 30min or so. This is a PITA and I use a lot of the solutions because I need at least 4Gal to cover my element to heat/recirculate. Then I have to rinse everything thoroughly. Then I have to safely dispose of a lot of liquid. Anyway sorry to vent but this is the down side of having such a system and it is what it is. My 3 gal cooler batch sparge set up is waaaaay simpler.  Wish there was an easier way.  Peace out  and I do feel better yours truly Debbie downer☺
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:32:39 am by quattlebaum »

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Debbie Downer (Cleaning My EHERMS)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:41:47 am »
You could use something like the RIMS Rocket from Blichmann instead of the HERMS.  That's where I'm going eventually, right now I'm brewing indoor and electric but with a cooler for mashing.  I wanted to stay clear of the HERMS specifically because I know cleaning it would be a PITA. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:08:52 am »
Thread title is making me hungry.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:10:52 am »
 ;D     Mmmm, tasty (or horrible).  Either way.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:15:18 am »
This is why I like simple coolers and kettles brewing. E-HERMS and RIMS sounds awesome, but way too much cleaning for my taste. My kettles and coolers get a hosing with the occasional scrub.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:20:17 am »
+1
Jon H.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 11:53:31 am »
Yup, simpler can be better. While some folks clean and set up their systems, some folks are already brewing. I hate cleaning kegs enough to know I don't want a lot more stainless nooks and crannies in my brew life. I just did a little 2.5 gal. BIAB batch the other night and set the oven temp to 150F and threw the kettle in there for an hour. It was so easy I just went out and got a 3 gal. fermenter so I have someplace with less head space to ferment  batches like this. I can brew while I'm cooking supper......one pot and virtually no clean up. Now when I don't have a lot of time, it won't keep me from brewing something.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 05:30:25 am »
There's always the middle-of-the-road option like a Braumeister. I'm 8 brews in on mine and absolutely love it. Easy to use, easy to clean.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 05:47:52 am »
The algae is on the inside of the coil, or the outside?  Is it green?  This seems like a problem with moisture leftover during storage.  If it's the inside, you could blow it out with CO2 after cleaning.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 07:32:15 am »
The algae is on the inside of the coil, or the outside?  Is it green?  This seems like a problem with moisture leftover during storage.  If it's the inside, you could blow it out with CO2 after cleaning.

yeah - i have Kal's exact setup, but I don't have the problem you reference.  leave all valves open after cleaning/rinsing.  every few batches a good long reciculation of PBW, and every six months a PBW soak followed by an acid wash keeps it sparkly.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281