Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: B. E. A. UTIFUL day for a brew day!  (Read 2943 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: B. E. A. UTIFUL day for a brew day!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:07 am »
Well you beat me to it Amanda.

Just about to mash out here in Bastrop TX - and its gorgeous here too.

I also copied your MM3/Powergrinder into a stand last week. First brew with the new mill. Killed 25 # of grain in about 1.5 minutes flat at 180 rpm. Loved the crush, but the numbers will tell if I am hanging around where I expect.

FYI - I have always lost about 5 points batch sparging on the Sabco. Never really understood it. I think it might be the keggle configuration. Nearly always hit around 80% with a nice slow fly sparge with it though.

It may be because there's almost a gallon under the false bottom.  That's a lot of wort no matter how much it gets diluted.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 11:12:36 am »
Yeah, I've gotten higher numbers when I either fly sparge or when I really take proper measurements for strike water used, first runnings volume, strike water needed/used, etc.

I'm basically leaving sugar in the brewery by being a bit lazy. Sure, I could fly sparge (but it takes too long!) or actually use math, but it's more relaxing to me to just grab all the sugars I feel like grabbing and make volume adjustments in the boil kettle. If I end up with more or less beer, so be it! Grain is cheap, so high efficiency is not a priority. Shaving an hour or two off the brew day is a priority!
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 11:15:49 am »
I also copied your MM3/Powergrinder into a stand last week. First brew with the new mill. Killed 25 # of grain in about 1.5 minutes flat at 180 rpm. Loved the crush, but the numbers will tell if I am hanging around where I expect.

Sweet!  8) Pics?
Amanda Burkemper

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 11:22:02 am »
http://accidentalis.com/archives/894

Not quite finished yet... but good enough to mill. The skirt worked better than I expected to keep the dust down. Cantilever too for access underneath the front. Not as pretty as yours, but some paint will help when I get around to it.

Just about to hit preboil volume - flame is on so should be at boil in a about 10 minutes. American Brown ale - with Willamette and late Cascades.

I am getting there on the 'just brew' front. I have spent two years really digging into the numbers and working hard to figure out what I am doing right and wrong. Next brew is without all of the widgets...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:13:06 pm by mchrispen »
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 12:02:40 pm »
I have never been a fan of keggle-based brewing systems because most are eyesores, but the Sabco system has always been tastefully done.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 12:30:39 pm »
to each their own.  I only care that the beer a system makes is beautiful.  I mean, I am so far from good looking it isn't funny; shouldn't my system be kinda ugly too?   ;D

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 12:34:57 pm »
to each their own.  I only care that the beer a system makes is beautiful.  I mean, I am so far from good looking it isn't funny; shouldn't my system be kinda ugly too?   ;D

thats funny!  ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2015, 12:44:02 pm »
I have never been a fan of keggle-based brewing systems because most are eyesores, but the Sabco system has always been tastefully done.

You haven't seen mine.

My wife just offered to spend several thousand dollars to make my brewery look better.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 12:45:25 pm »

thats funny!  ;D

+1   :D
Jon H.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 12:47:40 pm »

to each their own.  I only care that the beer a system makes is beautiful.

Yeah, I like nerdy math as much ad the next brewer, but relaxing a bit still produces winning beer, so I dont see the point in getting any more spun up about it. :)
Amanda Burkemper

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 02:21:23 pm »
The old Brew-Magic system ain't nearly as pretty as when I first bought it. Going on 5 years of 20-25 batches a year (more than that last year), and a lot of burned wort on the set plates. It has been very reliable, just replaced the thermocouple this month - first failed part. Once you get to know it - lots of fun to brew with. Took the time today to run some Acid 5 through and at least the insides are sparkling!

Turns out the grind was good. It's so different seeing whole husks and the endo cracked into small pieces. I did get a stuck recirculation at the beginning, so added in a few handfuls of rice hulls, stirred and slowly reopened it up. It's almost disappointing to build that stand out for just a minute or two worth of milling.

Hey I have nothing against ugly systems or ugly people. I have judged enough to know that I better throw NO stones. My old mashtun still sits there and stares at me in jealously... it is so ugly my neighbor refused to take it for free as his tun when I taught him to brew.

Hit my gravity dead on, and the ground water down here was still cool enough to let me knock out at 68F and pitch right away. As much as I don't like Texas (I consider my home Colorado) - compared to y'all up North - I sure like days like today.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<