Author Topic: Barrel Aged beer tastes like charcoal  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
Barrel Aged beer tastes like charcoal
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:13:24 AM »
I recently put a Stone AB clone (fermentation complete) in a recently purchased 10 gal rum barrel. After 7 days the beer tasted like charcoal. I put a gallon of dark rum in the barrel and tried to keep it wet until fill day. In the end, I dumped 5 gallons...couldn't take the charcoal taste any more....

I have not read of anyone experiencing this...

Did I mess up somehow...I'm reluctant to put another 10 gals in the barrel...but I want to...lol
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
Re: Barrel Aged beer tastes like charcoal
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »
That's a new one. Not surprised though. You've got the ideal barrel setup, but makes the beer taste like crude? I don't have any skill sets in this arena, but wanted to say: bummer.

Good Luck,

Offline kramerog

• Senior Brewmaster
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »
That has happened to me too with a saison in a red wine barrel.  For me it is more of a light charcoal flavor, which I don't care for.  I add a little red wine to the saison and the beer is harmonious again.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
Some barrels are toasted (wine, brandy), some are charred (bourbon). You can have light or heavy toast or char.

I have a couple of cognac barrels that were bought new. For Belgian sours I put them through a rinse cycle.with soda wash to strip the toast and oak character out - not really desireable at high levels in the target beers.

You have removed some of the char flavor with the first beer. You could do a wash if you wish, or fill with water, soak,  and taste to see if there is too much.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Governing Committee
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16:46 AM »
Yeah, that is a tough loss.  Your subsequent fills with that barrel should have less of that charcoal note than the first.  Your best bet would be to perform a good hot rinse with boiling water to reduce that before the next brew goes in. 

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
re: Barrel Aged beer tastes like charcoal
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:06:01 AM »
Thanks for the input...I will put the barrel through the boiling water wash and see where I think it is...The beer was beautiful by the way...just charred...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski