Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leaving Break Material/Hops Behind  (Read 8165 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Leaving Break Material/Hops Behind
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 10:46:03 am »
Denny, I've read that you don't normally use a secondary either.  Do you leave the hop pellet debris in for 2 weeks or so?

Yep, I do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:37 am »
Denny, I've read that you don't normally use a secondary either.  Do you leave the hop pellet debris in for 2 weeks or so?

Yep, I do.

Niiiice.  Thank you.

Offline sienabrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 09:21:37 am »
I'm always so concerned about leaving the break material in the kettle.  This post topic has driven me to just see what happens when it all goes into the fermenting bucket.  After all, trying it on your own is really the only way to know.  I spend so much time siphoning the beer from the fermenter, making sure the break stays behind, that I think all the open air exposure is what has been leading to the last few off flavors in my brews,  It would sure be nice to know that I can just dump it after chilling and know none of the material will adversely affect my beer. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 01:06:01 pm »
Denny, I've read that you don't normally use a secondary either.  Do you leave the hop pellet debris in for 2 weeks or so?

Yep, I do.

I've done it both ways and haven't been able to determine any advantage to leaving the break/hops behind in the kettle. It all settles out in the fermentation bucket just as happy as can be. I'm not concerned at all with it either way.

I typically run off all of the wort just until I see the break/hop material coming out and then I stop the transfer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:09:35 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline monk

• Cellarman
    • The Brass Monkey Brewpub
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 02:31:36 pm »
I'm always so concerned about leaving the break material in the kettle.  This post topic has driven me to just see what happens when it all goes into the fermenting bucket.  After all, trying it on your own is really the only way to know.  I spend so much time siphoning the beer from the fermenter, making sure the break stays behind, that I think all the open air exposure is what has been leading to the last few off flavors in my brews,  It would sure be nice to know that I can just dump it after chilling and know none of the material will adversely affect my beer. 

Amen, brother.  That's why I started this thread, and why my next batch is going completely into the fermenter.  If I don't notice any off flavors, then my process will have gotten much easier.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 11:10:46 pm »
I gotta chime in. I use a Hop Bag and pull that out after boiling the wert. What is left
in the BK goes into the fermenter pretty much....after the primary I move the beer
into the Kegs and try to leave the stuff mostly in the bottom of the primary.  Seems
to make nice tastey and clear beer....just my $.02
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.