Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Warm weather brewing  (Read 2462 times)

Offline leowaiau

• 1st Kit
Warm weather brewing
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:01:51 pm »
I live in Maui Hawaii and I am new to home brewing, I have done 4 batches of home brew. My question is this: it's hot here all year round, a steady 75-85 degrees, and I have no access to a fridge or any kind of steady temperature control. What are my options? I really want to eventual brew some stouts because they are my favorite, or really any style. What is your advice or tips for brewing in warm weather? 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Warm weather brewing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »
Tub of water with frozen water/soda bottles works well for many brewers. Takes extra effort, but you do what you can.

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 06:51:39 pm »
Swamp cooler. Carboy in a big bucket of water.,A t-shirt over the carboy to act as a wick, and a fan to blow on the t-shirt. Makes the water evaporate and can reduce the temperature by several degrees.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:25:28 pm »
I live in Maui Hawaii and I am new to home brewing, I have done 4 batches of home brew. My question is this: it's hot here all year round, a steady 75-85 degrees, and I have no access to a fridge or any kind of steady temperature control. What are my options? I really want to eventual brew some stouts because they are my favorite, or really any style. What is your advice or tips for brewing in warm weather?

Funny time to bring this up with the cold snap and all, everything is frozen in my brew area. Kinda sounds like you are rubbing it in...Maui.

Anyway, good advice from the previous posters.

High fermentation temps will get you a hangover. But you live in paradise so what's a hangover to you. ;)

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 07:53:32 pm »
Get used to saisons?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline leowaiau

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 02:01:09 am »
Thanks you guys. The tshirt method has work alright so far and I think in going to try the water bucket method next. My next home brew will be a saison so we'll see how that goes.  The cost of Paradise, limited home brewing. Haha.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:19:51 am »
Tub of water with frozen water/soda bottles works well for many brewers. Takes extra effort, but you do what you can.

+1. Did it for a long time.
Jon H.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:25:13 pm »
I like using Gatorade bottles because the plastic is thicker. Probably doesn't really contribute to anything but durability. I change them out in the morning and when I get home from work. I did this after brewing an imperil stout. The alcohol was really noticeable and my beer has since improved.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 02:26:13 am »
The reality of the situation is that at some point in time if you seriously progress in the craft of brewing you will want more precise control over temperature. A freezer or fridge will become necessary. Do you simply not have room for one? You can get a decent new chest freezer for under $200. Is there electricity in paradise? ;)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:07:02 am »
Fellow warm climate brewer here...I've used this for the past few years and has worked really well.
http://www.target.com/p/igloo-ice-cube-maxcold-70-quart-roller-cooler/-/A-10281497?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=10281497&CPNG=Sports&kpid=10281497&LID=14pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10281497&kpid=10281497&gclid=CI_0-I6-jsICFfBj7AodQEEAsw

I don't bother with a wet t shirt or anything. I simply keep cool water (which holds for quite a long time) up to the beer line in the fermenter.

In the summer (indoor temps may be around 77 w. ac) I'll have to add ice every 6 hours or so. It's not that fun as I have to check the temp often.

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 11:26:39 am »
Swamp coolers are very effective in arid climates, but not so good in humid ones, that's why you see them predominantly in the southwest. The ice bath will work well for you. You have a year round problem though.  If you get serious, it makes life so much easier to have a fermentation chamber of some kind.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 12:15:46 pm »
The reality of the situation is that at some point in time if you seriously progress in the craft of brewing you will want more precise control over temperature. A freezer or fridge will become necessary. Do you simply not have room for one? You can get a decent new chest freezer for under $200. Is there electricity in paradise? ;)

I used the tub of water method for 16 years.  It works pretty well but it's a bit of a PITA.  I bought a freezer a few months ago and I have to admit I prefer it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell