Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pumpkin beer  (Read 1752 times)

Offline LittleBigDreams14

• 1st Kit
pumpkin beer
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »
Has anyone used pumpkin puree in your beer before ? If so , what is the proper way of doing so? Do I have to cook it or will it cook while in the boil ? Thanks for ya time fellas
Little Big Dreams Brew Co.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: pumpkin beer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:53:12 pm »
I think pumpkin is pretty much starch and fiber. So if you want any conversion you'd have to mash it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:10:07 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline Bevilaquafoto

• Cellarman
    • Lorenzo Bevilaqua Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 10:31:06 am »
I just did an imperial pumpkin ale partial mash using canned pumpkin. Following my recipe, I steeped my specialty grains with the pumpkin in a grain bag, then pulled it out for the boil. Sadly, it turned out rather thick. I am not sure if this is from the pumpkin, or not being fully attenuated, which also happened, but you should definitely use the pumpkin in the mash.
Lorenzo Bevilaqua
Lorenzo Bevilaqua Photography
302A West 12th Street
Suite 245
New York, NY 10014
http://www.lorenzobevilaqua.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lorenzobevilaqua

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:50:54 am »
I don't use any pumpkin in my recipe at all. Just the spices in "pumpkin spice". Libby's is what I used most recently. 10 gram at flame out/ whirlpool. 5 gram in my keg after fermentation. Going to try a vodka and spice mix in a jar then filter spice out of vodka next to eliminate the spice in the keg.
The fresher the spices the better the flavor/ aroma. Grind your own cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. Add allspice. Never tried actually pumpkin in a recipe, but with this method it's pretty easy to turn any base beer into a "pumpkin beer".
-AK