Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops suggestion for Single Hops American IPA?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hops suggestion for Single Hops American IPA?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 12:27:35 pm »
My club is doing s single hop pale ale experiment - all the same recipe and IBU's matched (i.e., rather than by weight).  My hop is mosaic - the hydrometer sample was very good, so I have high hopes for it once carbed.  We do the tasting in December, so I hope nothing fades too badly before then....can't say what it might be like at a higher IBU level such as an IPA, but I'm thinking it might be a good candidate.

I've done it and it's good. Mosaic is a pretty complex hop to me with piney/dankness and the fruity/berry thing. I think you'll like it.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:31 pm »
My club is doing s single hop pale ale experiment - all the same recipe and IBU's matched (i.e., rather than by weight).  My hop is mosaic - the hydrometer sample was very good, so I have high hopes for it once carbed.  We do the tasting in December, so I hope nothing fades too badly before then....can't say what it might be like at a higher IBU level such as an IPA, but I'm thinking it might be a good candidate.

I've done it and it's good. Mosaic is a pretty complex hop to me with piney/dankness and the fruity/berry thing. I think you'll like it.

I get a lot of garlic from mosaic. I have probably 10-12 oz in the freezer that probably won't ever get used by me lol
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 12:33:00 pm »

I get a lot of garlic from mosaic. I have probably 10-12 oz in the freezer that probably won't ever get used by me lol

Wow, never had that from them....yet. It really sounds like a harvest thing according to a lot of the wisdom here and elsewhere. The timing of the harvest, soil, etc.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »

Wow, never had that from them....yet. It really sounds like a harvest thing according to a lot of the wisdom here and elsewhere. The timing of the harvest, soil, etc.

yeah - I have a 2/3mosaic 1/3cascade hopped amber that I just tapped and don't get that, although ive heard other folks mention the same before.  weird. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »
If it appears, I'm hoping it fades in the next month...I wonder if it is a result of certain yeasts with Mosaic beers - do you recall the yeast you used when you got the garlic thing?  Our yeast was US-05 FWIW.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 12:37:24 pm »
Citra is a fine hop, use it all the time, but I don't like it solo. Throw in any other c hop and it is great

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 12:43:07 pm »
If it appears, I'm hoping it fades in the next month...I wonder if it is a result of certain yeasts with Mosaic beers - do you recall the yeast you used when you got the garlic thing?  Our yeast was US-05 FWIW.

WLP 001 Cali Ale
Frank

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 12:45:14 pm »
Well I'm back to hoping then....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 12:47:51 pm »

Yeah. I hate that I get that flavor on my palette since everybody else seems to enjoy it. I won't say it's as extreme as Summit, but I definitely get an undesired taste that's certainly not blue berry. I pick up a similar taste in most commercial beers that I've had with it. One that really stands out in particular is Great Lakes Chill Wave IIPA (formally known as alchemy hour).

Now back to Citra.... Weyerbacher Simcoe is a good beer  :P
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:19 pm »

I think it must be a pretty isolated thing, for the most part.  A ton of breweries and brewpubs are using it now, I've used it a lot - I have to believe if it were something akin to the garlic problem with Summit, you wouldn't see it used so much.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 12:48:53 pm »

I think everybody perceives hop flavors differently. I'm not saying that it's bad, but it's not for me.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:06 pm »

Now back to Citra.... Weyerbacher Simcoe is a good beer  :P

:D
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »
Citra is a fine hop, use it all the time, but I don't like it solo. Throw in any other c hop and it is great

understood. depends on personal taste and style for sure.  i do like it blended as mentioned-centennial, cascade and citra.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 01:33:11 pm »
For me, Mosaic= :P
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »
I wouldn't use any British or German hops in a single hop AIPA, for starters. So no Kent Goldings, Fuggles, Hallertau, Saaz, etc.

These are good for this : Centennial, Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic, Ahtanum, Chinook, Equinox, Nugget, Columbus, to name a few.

EDIT  -  I'd add Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Azacca, Calypso and El Dorado.  An El Dorado IPA would be a 'fruit bomb' but it might be interesting....once.

I plan on doing a Mandarina Bavaria Pale Ale in the near future. Huell Melon would be another good choice. Don't count the Germans out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!