Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops suggestion for Single Hops American IPA?  (Read 4593 times)

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
Re: Hops suggestion for Single Hops American IPA?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 03:39:37 pm »
Cannot go wrong with all Centennials

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 03:40:27 pm »
My suggestion would be to use Centennial.

100% agreement.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:07 pm »
My club is doing s single hop pale ale experiment - all the same recipe and IBU's matched (i.e., rather than by weight).  My hop is mosaic - the hydrometer sample was very good, so I have high hopes for it once carbed.  We do the tasting in December, so I hope nothing fades too badly before then....can't say what it might be like at a higher IBU level such as an IPA, but I'm thinking it might be a good candidate.

Hey, be sure to post how it comes out !  I'm curious to see your impressions. I say no worries.
Jon H.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:17 pm »
Well, I had to drink a small glass tonight to see if I could pick up garlic in it - knowing ahead of time that it might be there....but I could not.  I will let it carb further and see what I get.  The tasting for the club is in December, so I will try to find this thread after that happens.  I am not a big dry hop guy (I do it for beers that call for it, of course), so the beer seems fine, but hoppy to my palate (30 IBU's, so not overly bitter).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »
The IPA I just brewed is the first one to exhibit an onion flavor.  It is not overwhelming, but I do hope it dissipates.  As I understand it the issue is harvesting the hops too late.  That is when onion shows up.  Anyway, for what its worth here the hopping schedule I used:

1 10 ml hop shot at 60 minutes
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
3.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Haawa_Swede

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 12:38:57 am »
Thanks to all you brewmasters for sharing. One of the reasons I asked about single hops beer is that started growing hops in Sweden using rizhomes from seven American varieties that a friend bought for me, and I collected in L.A. in May. First year harvest was not big (totally 10 oz/300 grams dried weight), but all grew to the max height of the trellis (13 / 16 ft). The varieties that I managed to get were Magnum, Cascade, Zeus, Chinook, Nugget, Willamette and Tettang.  The "+1" comment stuck, do you see any good combinations using my limited hops stock, or do I need other varieties?
Happy hops grower and home brewer

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2014, 02:02:32 am »
Thanks to all you brewmasters for sharing. One of the reasons I asked about single hops beer is that started growing hops in Sweden using rizhomes from seven American varieties that a friend bought for me, and I collected in L.A. in May. First year harvest was not big (totally 10 oz/300 grams dried weight), but all grew to the max height of the trellis (13 / 16 ft). The varieties that I managed to get were Magnum, Cascade, Zeus, Chinook, Nugget, Willamette and Tettang.  The "+1" comment stuck, do you see any good combinations using my limited hops stock, or do I need other varieties?

Your cascade, Zeus, and chinook will work very well together. Zeus is essentially columbus.
Frank

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2014, 03:07:28 am »

Play around. You might discover a great blend that you didn't think would work. I don't see anything there I'd be repelled by. But if you want a recommendation, I could probably live off of various combinations of Willamette, Cascade and Tettnanger. I'm considering planting hops next year and those 3 are at the top of my list.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2014, 06:41:22 am »
Willamette is essentially Fuggles.
US Tettnang was found to be Fuggles through DNA testing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Haawa_Swede

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 08:47:45 am »
Thanks a lot for the info.
Hmm, not so well chosen then, I have to consider this. I have place for a total of 16 plants, overkill to have four "Fuggles". I must try to get other varieties from US next spring.
Happy hops grower and home brewer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:34 am »
Thanks a lot for the info.
Hmm, not so well chosen then, I have to consider this. I have place for a total of 16 plants, overkill to have four "Fuggles". I must try to get other varieties from US next spring.

Willamette is Fuggles DNA, but is a Tripliod hybrid, so it is more robust than Fuggles. US Willamette is also different from UK Fuggles, as the terroir will give different flavor and aroma. If you don't mind Fuggles, plant one of each and see what you think. You can remove them if not to your liking.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2014, 10:23:25 am »
Belma is one I would probably avoid as a single hop. It's not that it has a bad flavor but the flavors are very gentle and it is seemingly impossible to get those flavors to really pop on their own.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 11:54:04 am »
Belma is one I would probably avoid as a single hop. It's not that it has a bad flavor but the flavors are very gentle and it is seemingly impossible to get those flavors to really pop on their own.

Yes, according to the growers the total oils are only .8 mL/100g.  By comparison Citra has 2.2 - 2.8 mL / 100g.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton