Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat wine + El Dorado hops + rye bourbon barrel = bad idea?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline danmages

• Cellarman
Wheat wine + El Dorado hops + rye bourbon barrel = bad idea?
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:15:26 pm »
I plan on brewing a wheat wine using some of the El Dorado hops I have in my freezer. I also have a 5 gallon rye bourbon barrel that will be empty. I think the wheat wine will go well with the El Dorados and that a wheat wine will benefit from the barrel, but I am not sure if the El Dorados will pair well with the barrel. I can use some opinions on this.

Thanks,

Dan

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Re: Wheat wine + El Dorado hops + rye bourbon barrel = bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:31:34 pm »
Why not?
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:27:17 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:18:38 am »
I also have a 5 gallon rye bourbon barrel that will be empty.

Just to clarify, rye or bourbon? I tend to like a bourbon barrel for "bigger" styles like a RIS or Baltic, but a rye barrel for somewhat less aggressive styles (the latest being a Pumpkin Saison... yeah, rye-barrel Pumpkin Saison). Pretty big difference between the two.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:37:05 am »
I think regardless of the hop variety, the hop character will seem a little more muted than you might expect, depending on how long you plan to leave the beer in barrel.  Barrel aging tends to soften the overall character of a beer IMO, more so the longer it stays in there. Doesn't mean it won't be great though.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:24:42 am »
Firestone Walker does a wheat wine with el dorado hops called Hell Dorado. It's pretty good. I'm not sure if they release barrel-aged versions of it but I could see rye working with it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline danmages

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »
I also have a 5 gallon rye bourbon barrel that will be empty.

Just to clarify, rye or bourbon? I tend to like a bourbon barrel for "bigger" styles like a RIS or Baltic, but a rye barrel for somewhat less aggressive styles (the latest being a Pumpkin Saison... yeah, rye-barrel Pumpkin Saison). Pretty big difference between the two.

To be specific, it is a 5.5 gallon barrel that once held Tuthilltown Manhattan Rye. I currently has an RIS in it, which needs to come out very soon.

Firestone Walker does a wheat wine with el dorado hops called Hell Dorado. It's pretty good. I'm not sure if they release barrel-aged versions of it but I could see rye working with it.

Perfect! Sold. I will send them an email to see if they can provide advice on brewing this beer.