Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prepping hops for winter  (Read 898 times)

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
Prepping hops for winter
« on: November 18, 2014, 02:28:33 pm »
I just cut down my hop bines to the ground and put a few inches of mulch and a slab of slate over the mulch..This should provide good protection from the winter right? Any other methods to keep the hops good for the winter will be appreciated..cheers

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Prepping hops for winter
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:46:29 pm »
I just cut down my hop bines to the ground and put a few inches of mulch and a slab of slate over the mulch..This should provide good protection from the winter right? Any other methods to keep the hops good for the winter will be appreciated..cheers

I just apply a thick layer of mulch. I don't see a reason for the slate.

I was concerned this spring with my Columbus plant because a rabbit or something dug up all of the mulch from on top of it. After one of the coldest winters ever in NE, Ohio, it grew like a weed. I've found that hops are nearly impossible to destroy. These things want to grow!
Frank

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
Re: Prepping hops for winter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:08:29 pm »

I just apply a thick layer of mulch. I don't see a reason for the slate.

I was concerned this spring with my Columbus plant because a rabbit or something dug up all of the mulch from on top of it. After one of the coldest winters ever in NE, Ohio, it grew like a weed. I've found that hops are nearly impossible to destroy. These things want to grow!

Cool good to know..yeah i just put the slate for security..but after hearing that i might take it off..thank you cheers