Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Onion in my IPA  (Read 10524 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Onion in my IPA
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 05:48:06 am »
I've heard Sorachi Ace hops also have this onion/garlic thing when young, but fortunately this always fades to leave a unique tea-like flavor that is extremely pleasant!

I've never noticed it in Sorachi (yet).  Good hop though - I love the lemony aspect in saison. Good stuff.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 06:07:35 am »
Didn't someone post recently that the onion/garlic thing may come from hops harvested too late in the season? I've definitely gotten onion/garlic in summit. I find beers made with summit very unpleasant.

I heard that at a talk or a podcast too. Hops like Summit are sold on high AA, so they are left longer on the bine to maximize AA, and the sulfur compound that causes the onion/garlic goes up also.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 06:44:12 am »
No Summit.  Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic.  I have heard that Mosaic can lend a little onion to the soup.  I'm headed out to purge the headspace!
You sure those little purple hops weren't shallots?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 07:14:36 am »

I heard that at a talk or a podcast too. Hops like Summit are sold on high AA, so they are left longer on the bine to maximize AA, and the sulfur compound that causes the onion/garlic goes up also.

Makes sense, but I wonder if Summit isn't naturally higher in the sulfur compound, too. That stuff seems to dissipate fairly quickly when I get it from other hops, but not from Summit.
Jon H.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:34 am »
I've used Summit once without any onion in a hop stand and the beer was delicious.  I've heard that copper will eliminate the sulfur compounds that gives the onion character.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 08:06:54 am »
I've heard of copper reacting with SO2 gas to create copper sulfate, but I haven't seen the same data showing that it reacts with thiols to remove onion flavors.

I have gotten onion from Mosaic before. FWIW, I believe it was from 2013 whole cone hops from freshops. I only ever picked it up in a single hop beer - I've never picked out onion in any other beers I've brewed with that batch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 08:16:27 am »
I have been having funny issues with my stove top batches. No copper involved. Might throw a chunk of tubing in the kettle next batch.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 08:27:11 am »
I use my copper IC pre and post hop stand, and I generally don't have the issues. And like I posted, the occasional onion note dissipates quickly, except for Summit.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 08:42:20 am »

I use my copper IC pre and post hop stand, and I generally don't have the issues. And like I posted, the occasional onion note dissipates quickly, except for Summit.
Have not built my mini chiller yet. I've bath for the small batches.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 08:45:55 am »

Have not built my mini chiller yet. I've bath for the small batches.

Didn't think of the small batch thing. A mini chiller is a great idea. I do small batches now and then to try hops. Can't say I'm getting onion more often with those though, and I just ice bath them too.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:57 am »
No Summit.  Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic.  I have heard that Mosaic can lend a little onion to the soup.  I'm headed out to purge the headspace!

What I learned at Hop and Brew School is that onion/garlic is often related to time of harvest, not necessarily a single variety.

Didn't someone post recently that the onion/garlic thing may come from hops harvested too late in the season? I've definitely gotten onion/garlic in summit. I find beers made with summit very unpleasant.

I believe that was me.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:31:41 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 11:28:26 am »

This was also discussed in For the Love of Hops.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 11:47:17 am »
You sure those little purple hops weren't shallots?
Nice contribution, Jim.

I didn't notice onion/garlic in last year's crop of Amarillo, but something was funky about it. Every beer I've brewed with 2013 Amarillo has tasted kinda funny to me.
Jesse

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 02:06:57 pm »

I won't use Mosaic again because of this.

Mosaic is a crazy hops..one time it will be like fruits very simcoe like another time it was like sweaty armpits..unpredicable hop IMO

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 06:21:57 pm »
Mosaic is a crazy hops..one time it will be like fruits very simcoe like another time it was like sweaty armpits..unpredicable hop IMO

So, either way, it kind of sucks.   8)

Mosaic and Simcoe... my two least favorite hops.  Personal preference.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.