Author Topic: Onion in my IPA  (Read 4977 times)

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
Re: Onion in my IPA
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 01:46:29 AM »
Mosaic is a crazy hops..one time it will be like fruits very simcoe like another time it was like sweaty armpits..unpredicable hop IMO

So, either way, it kind of sucks.   8)

Mosaic and Simcoe... my two least favorite hops.  Personal preference.

Mosaic is a daughter of Simcoe, so there you go! I actually like Simcoe, and really like Mosaic. We all have our taste preferences.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 06:46:39 AM »
Well the onion is gone... and so is all the flavor.  So weird, so frustrating.  Had a pint tonight and it was like drinking fizz water.  Ok that is hyperbole, but still.  I used 13 oz. apparently to no avail:

2.00 oz Amarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 
3.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

We'll see if it comes around again.  I've heard of wine doing that.  Pretty disgusted right now.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 06:48:38 AM »
Thats strange

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
Well the onion is gone... and so is all the flavor.  So weird, so frustrating.  Had a pint tonight and it was like drinking fizz water.  Ok that is hyperbole, but still.  I used 13 oz. apparently to no avail:

2.00 oz Amarillo [8.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
2.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 
3.00 oz Mosaic [12.70 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
2.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

We'll see if it comes around again.  I've heard of wine doing that.  Pretty disgusted right now.

Two things that come to mind that will seemingly remove hop flavor and aroma. Overcarbonation and too cold a serving pressure. Any chance this is the case?

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
Two things that come to mind that will seemingly remove hop flavor and aroma. Overcarbonation and too cold a serving pressure. Any chance this is the case?

Serving temp of 38*.  I do have a new CO2 regulator that I'm about to replace because it won't hold a steady pressure.  So I'm guessing that is it.  It didn't seem overly carbonated to my tongue but the two thresholds may have different levels.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know that!
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 05:37:31 PM »
38 seems about 10 too low

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »
I serve mine 38-40. I've not experienced hop loss. How long have you been serving at this temp? Have you served other hoppy beers at this temp? Did they lose aroma/or flavor?

Did you have a bittering addition in this brew?

Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
I like 42-43ish for IPA, fwiw.   Steve, I'm assuming the aroma was strong but slightly onion-y before ? I've run into this  - sort of - but not as extreme as you describe.  So I'll tell you what I think I've learned :    1/ I'm prone to sinus issues now and then. There've been times I wondered where the aroma went and the next day I could breathe easier and hop aromas magically came right back.     2/  When I used to dry hop in primary - ie., with more yeast in suspension - I felt that as the beer in the keg gradually cleared, dry hop character fell off as the remaining yeast (which absorb hop oils) settle out in keg. I wait to dry hop (in the keg) now until ~ 3 weeks, to get the clearest beer I can to dry hop. I feel the dry hop character lasts longer this way.     3/  Worst case, mesh bag up some varieties that you've used without any onion and drop them in the keg. I do it all the time. It won't have the same intensity as room temp dry hops (use more than @ room temp, if need be) but it'll wake it up.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
I've served IPAs at 35* and not lost flavor.  Add to that the bottles of commercial IPAs in my fridge that do just fine at 33-34*.

Yes, on the bittering addition: one 10 ml hopshot at 60 minutes.

The hydrometer sample that I collected at kegging smelled wonderful, and tasted quite good even prior to any carbonation.  I did forget to dump the yeast prior to dry-hopping this time, so that could contribute, but I didn't have any issues when I was fermenting and dry-hopping in a carboy.

I do think the carbonation is the best bet at this point, but I'm regularly amazed at the stark difference a day can make.  I don't know if it is my tastebuds being ruined by something I ate, or my body's chemistry is different, minor allergies, or what, but one day a beer will be marvelous and the next boring - so that may be it too.
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667

Offline gman23

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 09:11:08 PM »
I am glad I am not alone on this. I feel like my palate is slightly different day to day. I will pour a beer and it will taste different than I remember from just the day before. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. I have a love/hate relationship with my current APA on tap. Sometimes is tastes to dry and earthy and other days it's just what I want in house APA.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:18:54 PM by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPA, I'm a Golden God, Braunbier, Cider w/Peaches & Jalapeno      

Fermenting: G Pils
Up Next: Vienna, IPA

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 12:19:09 AM »
one day a beer will be marvelous and the next boring

This happens to me as well.
One of many zeros
Kicked around, bored

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 12:32:22 AM »
Ok so my temp comment was stupid. I forgive myself. (I'm smart, I'm good looking, and dang it people like me) All better.

It can be very difficult to diagnose beer flavor swing from a distance,  especially when you account for palate fatigue or taste bud mood swings. If you have another example that is supposed to be very similar, have someone serve you 3 samples, one being the questionable beer, or two being the questionable beer and one of the control sample. Without being able to see a difference (eyes closed maybe) see if you can pick out the questionable beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »
Ok so my temp comment was stupid. I forgive myself. (I'm smart, I'm good looking, and dang it people like me) All better.

:)
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 01:19:20 AM »
Steve - is the hop character any better tonight ?
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, 06:43:51 AM »
Steve - is the hop character any better tonight ?

Yes!  I swapped out the CO2 regulator this afternoon, though I'm not sure that was the issue now.  Now I'm thinking it was the homemade Zuppa Toscana I had for dinner prior to the IPA.

It is still not and exceptionally good IPA, but it is solidly in the good category.  Geeze, maybe by tomorrow...
Steve
All Hands Brewing
BJCP #D1667