Author Topic: Onion in my IPA  (Read 5382 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Onion in my IPA
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
Steve - is the hop character any better tonight ?

Yes!  I swapped out the CO2 regulator this afternoon, though I'm not sure that was the issue now.  Now I'm thinking it was the homemade Zuppa Toscana I had for dinner prior to the IPA.

It is still not and exceptionally good IPA, but it is solidly in the good category.  Geeze, maybe by tomorrow...

Awesome !
Jon H.

Offline Chas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
Old thread but helpful. I get this every time I brew a sculpin clone which has a decent amount of Amarillo in it. So discouraging when this happens. I'll try the purge and let it age some

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 04:32:38 AM »
My .02, late to the party - The only time I've gotten onion is when I did a single-hop IPA with Zeus.  Too much of a good thing, I guess.  However, they were homegrown hops, and there is a chance that it was a late harvest issue. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »
I was told at Hop and Brew School that onion/garlic is a sign the hops were harvested too late.  If that's the case, another lot of hops might be fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »
I've heard the same. In that case, a whole lot of Summit must get harvested late.  ;D  Rarely used it without the onion/garlic.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:06 PM »
I've heard the same. In that case, a whole lot of Summit must get harvested late.  ;D  Rarely used it without the onion/garlic.

And I've only gotten it once in frequent use of Summit.  I love that hop.  But each variety does have a specific harvest time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 10:12:37 PM »

And I've only gotten it once in frequent use of Summit.  I love that hop.  But each variety does have a specific harvest time.

I must be really lucky as I've never gotten onion with it.
Crescent City, CA

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
Never got onion with summit but never got that orange/tangerine thing either... 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
Shows the variability in hop retailers and harvest, I guess. I use different retailers and have gotten onion/garlic easily 75% of the time from it, sometimes strong. I've seen a couple people post similarly about Mosaic and I've had nothing but good luck with it. Lots of variables to getting good hops evidently.
Jon H.

Offline Chas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 01:06:45 PM »
Does this onion flavor fade at all or is it something I'm stick with? Thanks in advance!

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Two Rivers, WI
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
Does this onion flavor fade at all or is it something I'm stick with? Thanks in advance!

I don't have personal experience, but I've heard many say that yes, it does fade after just a couple weeks.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »

I don't have personal experience, but I've heard many say that yes, it does fade after just a couple weeks.
My all-Summit Pale Ale still tasted like onion rings till the day I dumped the last of the bottles about 3 years later.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Two Rivers, WI
    • Manty Malters - Meet the Malters! - Dave Taylor
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »

My all-Summit Pale Ale still tasted like onion rings till the day I dumped the last of the bottles about 3 years later.

Ooh........ very sorry to hear that.  If it's any consolation, my DIPA tastes like a tub of movie popcorn butter.  I haven't popped a bottle of that stuff in about 5 months.  Maybe it's better now.  Otherwise I'm thinking about pouring it all back into a fermenter and adding Brett, just for the fun of it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2017, 06:25:30 PM »

Ooh........ very sorry to hear that.  If it's any consolation, my DIPA tastes like a tub of movie popcorn butter.  I haven't popped a bottle of that stuff in about 5 months.  Maybe it's better now.  Otherwise I'm thinking about pouring it all back into a fermenter and adding Brett, just for the fun of it.

Thankfully, it was a 1-gallon batch. It was a great beer to cook with, though :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

I wonder if kegging would be better for an onion beer.  What I'm thinking is that one could purge the CO2 in the head space which may flush it out. 
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton