Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best hop for dry hopping?  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Iloveipa

• 1st Kit
Best hop for dry hopping?
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:11:23 am »
I made a 10 gallon ipa last weekend using:

1oz willamette - steeped with grains
1oz magnum -60 min
1oz magnum-45 min
2oz chinook - 30 min
2oz cascade - 15 min
2oz cascade - flame out

I'm ready to dry hop, and would like to experiment with different hop varieties to dry hop and am looking for suggestions.  I'm fairly new to brewing and am not sure what goes together.   I was thinking about using 1oz willamette in one and tetnang in the other.  Or should I stick with chinook or cascade?    Are there any hop combinations that just don't go well together?   
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:24:30 am by Iloveipa »

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
Re: Best hop for dry hopping?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:18:30 am »

1oz magnum -60 min
1oz magnum-45 min
2oz chinook - 30 min
2oz cascade - 15 min
2oz cascade - flame out

I'm ready to dry hop, and would like to experiment with different hop varieties to dry hop and am looking for suggestions.  I'm fairly new to brewing and am not sure what goes together.   I was thinking about using 1oz willamette in one and tetnang in the other.  Or should I stick with chinook or cascade?

Is subjective..but i like simcoe,centennial,columbus combo or any of these solo

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:27:42 am »
If this is your first time out I would go with the cascade since those are used for all of your late additions. You will get a good feel for the flavor and aroma of cascade on its own without too many varieties competing.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:30:23 am »

1oz magnum -60 min
1oz magnum-45 min
2oz chinook - 30 min
2oz cascade - 15 min
2oz cascade - flame out

I'm ready to dry hop, and would like to experiment with different hop varieties to dry hop and am looking for suggestions.  I'm fairly new to brewing and am not sure what goes together.   I was thinking about using 1oz willamette in one and tetnang in the other.  Or should I stick with chinook or cascade?    Are there any hop combinations that just don't go well together?

I would not use a nople hop like tettnang if there is gonna be a american high alpha cause it will justcover up the tettnang..if its a american IPA use american hops...You can't go wrong with the C's..cascade,centennial,columbus, etc

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:30:24 am »
The Willamette steeped with grain, I assume that would be similar to mash hopping, but in any event it won't bring much to the party. There rest will be splendid. Most guys here will encourage you to use more than an ounce per gallon in dry hopping. If you are tentative about that, I'd use at lease two or three ounces per batch. Frankly, cascade in one and use your imagination in the other. Have fun with the second batch, but I'd avoid Nobel hops in that beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:31:18 am »
Well your Chinook and Cascade would make it a lot more IPA-like. And they work well together.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:51:11 am »
You just brewed this last weekend? Make sure this is done fermenting before dry hopping. I suggest waiting another week. If your yeast is still active, it will bond with your hop oils and drop them out of the beer.

Since you're newer to brewing and are still figuring out the hops and their flavors, you have an opportunity to try something here that is simple but will give you two pleasant results. Try dry hopping five gallons with 3 oz of cascade. Like said above, you'll have a great flavor and aroma of cascade working together. With the other 5 gallons, try using 2-3 oz of chinook. You'll get a more piney aroma from chinook and it will work well with your late addition cascades.

Note: This many dry hops will make this more IPAish if that's what you're looking for. If not, cut the additions down a bit. I use at least 5 oz dry hops per 5 gal in my IPAs, but I suggest starting with 2 or 3 oz and go up from there for your likings for an IPA.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 08:55:39 am by fmader »
Frank

Offline Iloveipa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:40:18 am »
Thanks for the help everyone.  I'll wait another week before dry hopping and then use chinook in one batch and cascade in the other.  And while it sounds like a lot, I'm also going to increase the amount to 3oz in each batch.   I like a hoppy beer, so am not worried about it being too strong.  Just don't want to waste good hops! 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 09:44:16 am »
Thanks for the help everyone.  I'll wait another week before dry hopping and then use chinook in one batch and cascade in the other.  And while it sounds like a lot, I'm also going to increase the amount to 3oz in each batch.   I like a hoppy beer, so am not worried about it being too strong.  Just don't want to waste good hops! 

Not too much by any means. I use 2.5 oz in 5 gallons of APA and 5-6 oz in AIPA, 5 gallons. It'll be good.
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 09:50:57 am »

You won't be wasting them! It should be good.

Just as a reference, you're classic "C" hops (cascade, centennial, chinook and columbus) all work well together. Cascade is the most mild of the four and can tend to get lost unless you use them in a 2:1 ratio with these other guys. Columbus is my favorite bittering hop for IPAs but can be used throughout the brewing process.

What's great about this hobby is that you can try just about any hops in combination. I rarely brew the same hop combo in IPAs more than once.
Frank

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:58:22 am »

In my opinion thats a small ammount of hops..My last DIPA i had a 2 stage dry hop schedule..the first stage i used 3 oz the 2nd another 3oz..the whole recipe had 14oz of hops...it tastes like hop slam except a lower ABV