Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Poke my oatmeal stout  (Read 2830 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Poke my oatmeal stout
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 07:06:41 am »
Ken, FWIW I mash dark beers @ 5.5pH too, all grains together.  I feel that the roast character is less harsh and acrid, just overall better at this pH. My theory is that brewers that don't like the character of the dark grains being mashed might well like it if they adjusted their pH up to 5.5ish. Not to say you can't cold steep dark grains and make good beer.

i dont disagree - mine will tend to fall +- .02 from 5.5PH. perhaps a little bump migth be in order and see if i notice any difference.

do you also keep the sulfates low- around 30PPM or so?

I used the Black Balanced profile on an American/Oatmeal stout (Rogue Shakespeare type) and it was great. I used either 'Balanced' or 'Malty' on a more British style Oatmeal Stout (a year or two ago) and it was great too.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: Poke my oatmeal stout
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 07:10:55 am »
Ken, FWIW I mash dark beers @ 5.5pH too, all grains together.  I feel that the roast character is less harsh and acrid, just overall better at this pH. My theory is that brewers that don't like the character of the dark grains being mashed might well like it if they adjusted their pH up to 5.5ish. Not to say you can't cold steep dark grains and make good beer.

i dont disagree - mine will tend to fall +- .02 from 5.5PH. perhaps a little bump migth be in order and see if i notice any difference.

do you also keep the sulfates low- around 30PPM or so?

I used the Black Balanced profile on an American/Oatmeal stout (Rogue Shakespeare type) and it was great. I used either 'Balanced' or 'Malty' on a more British style Oatmeal Stout (a year or two ago) and it was great too.

yeah its only about 18ppm sulfate diff between two profiles....most everything else almost the same.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: