Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decanting yeast starters?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
Re: Decanting yeast starters?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »
What's the minimum "time in fridge" you all have experienced for an effective decant?

yeast dependent- wlp 090 - fast, wlp300 slow.

hmm grateful for the answer to my question, but... that didn't really answer my question.  ;D

fast = __ hours
slow = __ hours

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »
Not sure about minimum.  I'm usually putting them in the fridge overnight.

I've pitched without decanting, I'm sure, but I can't recall doing so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 01:59:52 pm »
What's the minimum "time in fridge" you all have experienced for an effective decant?

hmm grateful for the answer to my question, but... that didn't really answer my question.  ;D

fast = __ hours
slow = __ hours
sorry-estimates for above.... high floc yeast can drop pretty quickly in 24-48 hours while low-med floc yeast can be 48 or more.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 02:08:04 pm »
bingo.  thanks y'all.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »
speaking of decanting starter wort..Does anyone taste it? I decanted a starter of munich lager yesterday into a cup to give it a taste and god i will never pitch a whole starter again.Its tasted very tart,winelike with egg farts mixed in..I hope the tart/sour flavor is normal for starter wort not too worried about the egg fart(sulfur) cause i know thats normal for lager yeast..I quess i will find out in a month.

That's exactly how I made my decision to always decant.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 02:12:52 pm »

fast = __ hours
slow = __ hours

fast=24 hours
slow=3 days

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 04:39:59 pm »
Usually a 2 L starter will get 48 hrs to drop bright before warming up, decanting, and pitching on brew day.  When crunched for time I will do 24hrs though (but not usually). 

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 05:06:10 pm »
Usually a 2 L starter will get 48 hrs to drop bright before warming up, decanting, and pitching on brew day.  When crunched for time I will do 24hrs though (but not usually).

I read that you shouldn't warm your yeast before pitching. Brew and chill your beer, take your yeast out of the fridge, decant, and pitch. It's better to pitch yeast into a wort that is warmer than it and not the other way around.

Denny... I think it was you that stated this. If so, did I state this correctly?
Frank

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 05:11:47 pm »
speaking of decanting starter wort..Does anyone taste it? I decanted a starter of munich lager yesterday into a cup to give it a taste and god i will never pitch a whole starter again.Its tasted very tart,winelike with egg farts mixed in..I hope the tart/sour flavor is normal for starter wort not too worried about the egg fart(sulfur) cause i know thats normal for lager yeast..I quess i will find out in a month.

That's exactly how I made my decision to always decant.
I wonder though, wouldn't most lagers taste that way about 24 hrs in? Dont get me wrong, im not advocating pitching spent starter wort.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 07:23:37 pm »
If pressed for time I will just chill the morning of brew day, then decant and pitch later that same day.  If you have enough yeast, tossing a few non flocced out with the spent wort isn't going to hurt you.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 06:20:46 am »
If pressed for time I will just chill the morning of brew day, then decant and pitch later that same day.  If you have enough yeast, tossing a few non flocced out with the spent wort isn't going to hurt you.

I think you hit my concern on the head.  I was thinking worst case, if I rushed it, I'd be decanting the very yeast cells I'd just worked to grow.  Sounds like it's no biggie.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 09:38:41 am »

I read that you shouldn't warm your yeast before pitching. Brew and chill your beer, take your yeast out of the fridge, decant, and pitch. It's better to pitch yeast into a wort that is warmer than it and not the other way around.

Denny... I think it was you that stated this. If so, did I state this correctly?

Yep, that was me...and maybe others.  If you warm it up, it starts to consume it's nutrient reserves before it gets into the wort.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:25 am »
I wonder though, wouldn't most lagers taste that way about 24 hrs in? Dont get me wrong, im not advocating pitching spent starter wort.

Possibly.   Although when I tasted starters it was from ale yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 11:36:27 am »

When I say "warm it up", I simply meant that I pull the starter flask out of my chest freezer while I am transferring from boil kettle to fermenter.  This takes no longer than 15 min. and the yeast is most definitely colder still than the wort. 

But that is interesting to know that the yeast will start to consume their reserves when warmed up too much.  Man I love forums like these.