Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast experiment  (Read 1189 times)

Offline blackislandbrewer

• Cellarman
  • An Ode to Beer
WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast experiment
« on: November 21, 2014, 07:28:28 am »
I'm working on a Vienna Lager that I plan to use the WLP080 Cream Ale blend on. I'm not finding much experience with it on the interwebs, so though I'd run my idea by the yeast whisperers here to see if my plan makes sense. So assume two things: I'm not switching yeast, and I'm not switching styles. But the rest is up for discussion!

My idea at this point is to try to limit the ester production of this hybrid yeast by doing two things: pitching a bigger than average starter, possibly double the beersmith estimate, to limit the number of generations produced, which, as I understand it, will limit the ester production, and second, to ferment at the cold end of the recommended, or possibly lower, to also limit ester production.

So I'm wondering about this plan, as well as how much oxygenation (I have O2, a diffuser and flow rate control)

I'm not brewing this for three weeks, so I have time to change my plans.

Thanks in advance for any insights you might have!
David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read most of the posts on homebrewing forums, I hear them in the voice of the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast experiment
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:45:26 am »
If you are going to pitch a larger starting population you will want to reduce your o2 addition because they only need the o2 for reproduction. other than that it's a plan. let us know how it turns out.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blackislandbrewer

• Cellarman
  • An Ode to Beer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:50:18 am »
If you are going to pitch a larger starting population you will want to reduce your o2 addition because they only need the o2 for reproduction. other than that it's a plan. let us know how it turns out.
I was thinking that too. So do you think extra oxygen would be scrubbed, get used, or oxidize?
In most of my sub 1.060 worts I do 2 minutes at 1 liter per minute, with good results. In higher gravity worts, I am still trying to find the sweet spot.
This vienna is 1.050, so I'll try 2 minutes at 1/2 LPM.
David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read most of the posts on homebrewing forums, I hear them in the voice of the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:36:42 am »
I don't think it will oxidize anything but it might lead to higher esters as the yeast metabolize the o2
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce