Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew All Stars  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Homebrew All Stars
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 09:38:10 am »
These responses absolutely punctuate why I love homebrewing and the people who are members of the homebrew community.

The hobby is so satisfying because you all engage and interact.

We look up to and admire and are grateful for some very innovative people who have accomplished much and laid the path for our own brewing successes, but we consider them our Beer Yodas. The moniker All Star just doesn't seem to fit those we admire among the ranks of homebrewers.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 10:39:07 am »
Thanks for all the responses and keep 'em coming...you never know...it just might turn into a book!  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 08:06:23 pm »
I've known several homebrew all-stars. People that are tireless promoters of the hobby that go out of their way to enhance the hobby for others. I've got one in my club here in Indy and I had one in my club in Tallahassee. They make brewing better. They are All-Stars!  You probably have one in your area too. Thank them.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Joe T

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:32 pm »
I'll chime in on this love fest.
Here's a definition of All Star gleaned from Wikipedia : "All-star (also All-Star) is a term designating an individual as having a high level of performance in their field. Originating in sports, it has since drifted into vernacular and been borrowed heavily by the entertainment industry. It can also be used for a group of individuals, who are popular in certain areas."
So a homebrew All Star consistently makes great beer and is known for it. To be known for it, one must: brew and share a lot; consistently do well in contests; and/or tirelessly share knowledge enough to help many people improve their brewing.
Using this criteria, I can say that I know of many brewers who are all stars on the local, regional, national, and global levels.
Homebrewing, compared to other hobbies, seems to be rather rich with the passionate, sharing-type All Stars at a level that seems to advance the hobby at a blistering pace. If all hobbies and political interests were so blessed with these types, we'd surely have world peace and we'd be sending model rockets to the moon! We'd be curing cancer and knitting a scarf around the world! All in the name of great beer. Go figure!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 10:20:53 pm »
I think a homebrewing All Star is not just someone who brews good/great beer, but someone you respect, someone who is passionate, shares their knowledge, and also respects others as brewers and what they have to contribute to homebrewing.

And I doubt Denny started this thread phishing for compliments. I don't think it's really necessary to name names here.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:22:48 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 11:51:22 am »
I think what makes a homebrew all star is a combination of things..For one being well known and respected by the homebrew community..always contributing to the homebrew community..brewing killer homebrew, having your own yeast being sold by wyeast ;)( yes Denny you are an all star) helping other brewers get better, Mostly i think its about being well know and respected and experienced..I think john palmer, Denny conn, Jamil zainisheff are perfect examples of homebrew All stars.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 12:25:20 pm »
All good comments - if I can add to the definition, it would also be the homebrewer that consistently dials in one or more factors in the brewing process to pass on to others a way to improve their results, while at the same time appropriately pushing the envelope of style to give others a new twist on any given style.  Things like Skotrat's Traquoir House reduction of first runnings, rye IPA's, Brett based adaptation of certain styles (believe it or not a Koelsch with all Brett or a beet based Koelsch - I never would have thought of those!), the list is nearly endless.  I can lay claim to no such innovation originating with me, but I highly admire those who pave the way in such things...and it makes me step back and think if there is something I can add at some point to improve a process, dial in a style, create a twist or create a new knowledge point at the rim of brewing understanding.  I hope so, but if not, it is fun trying!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"