Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pliny the Elder - Missed OG by A Few Points - Advice Needed  (Read 3707 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: Pliny the Elder - Missed OG by A Few Points - Advice Needed
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 10:32:09 am »
At the same time, I ordered 22 pounds of 2 row for another much higher gravity brew.

I do have a Corona mill and may run all 22# through it.

I may call my LHBS to ask if they will run these through the mill, otherwise, it will be a long hand-cranking day :(

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »
I am surprised that I missed the starting gravity. Mash was @ 151 for 90 minutes (while I did other things). That's < 70%.
When I brewed the pliny kit, I had trouble getting my water volumes right due to hop absorption and lots of trub in the kettle.  I don't think the volumes have to be off by much to affect the OG.
-Tony

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 07:22:13 pm »
I just bottled my More Beer "Pliny" and the was OG 1.059 and FG 1.002.  Little disappointed in the OG but finished low.  It smelled fantastic when I cracked open the carboy.  Sorry for the thread steal but I'm just very excited.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:32 pm »
I just bottled my More Beer "Pliny" and the was OG 1.059 and FG 1.002.  Little disappointed in the OG but finished low.  It smelled fantastic when I cracked open the carboy.  Sorry for the thread steal but I'm just very excited.
What yeast did you use? 1.002 is very low.  I'd be worried something else is lurking in that beer....

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 09:14:28 pm »
What yeast did you use? 1.002 is very low.  I'd be worried something else is lurking in that beer....
My money is on a mis-calibrated hydrometer. Double check what your hydro reads in plain water. the paper inside has a tendency to shift out of alignment.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 04:28:25 pm »

[/quote]

Safale 05 for my yeast.  I am using a refractometer now since I recently broke my hydrometer.  I did a initial calibration and it was good.  14.5 Brix OG and 6 Brix FG

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 04:36:23 pm »
Safale 05 for my yeast.  I am using a refractometer now since I recently broke my hydrometer.  I did a initial calibration and it was good.  14.5 Brix OG and 6 Brix FG

Did you correct the FG reading to account for the alcohol? 

http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 04:37:34 pm »

[/quote]

A refractometer is not very useful for measuring FG in a beer after alcohol has been created.  The alcohol throws everything off-whack unless you use some special calculations. A hydrometer is much better for FG readings.  If your FG truly was that low then I would bet your mashing thermometer has not been calibrated recently (or properly) if you are brewing all grain.

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 04:58:47 pm »
I was using Northern Brewers refractometer calculator.  Since your responses I went to seanterrill.com and brewersfriend.com and they showed 1.009 FG.  I have never checked my thermometer for calibration but I will do this to verify its accuracy.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 11:48:47 am »
A 1.009 FG is acceptable for that beer.  I am surprised to hear that the Northern Brewer calculator is so off compared to the others you checked out. 

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 05:42:05 pm »
Me too. 

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 02:38:56 pm »
Sampled today, 8 days since brewing, and it is down to 1.006. Coincidentally, it is exactly where it should be as far as attenuation goes. The plan was 1.072 > 1.011 and mine is 1.067 > 1.006 - 61 points.

For 8 day old beer, it is superb. I'll give the yeast a bit more time before starting the dry hop. As awesome as it tastes now, loaded with 5 ounces of dry hops will push this over the top.

I called MoreBeer and discussed the low extraction problem. My C.S. rep said they have had several recent complaints and suspected my grain was from an older less than stellar batch of 2 row. She promptly refunded 100% of my purchase, including 20#'s of 2 row for another beer.

I was not looking for a refund, nor did I ask. What great customer service.