Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle size  (Read 1974 times)

Offline jjpiv33

• 1st Kit
Bottle size
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:35 pm »
I made a batch of dunkel from my local brew shop. Was an dry extract kit, with partial grain. The fermentation temp was going to be on the higher side so I used ale yeast. When it was time to bottle I used all I had, some Heineken bottles, some flip tops, and then a case of brown 16's. I tried 3 of the ones bottled in the Heineken bottles one a week, and they seemed yeasty.... Not bad but not what I wanted. I  figured aging would help. Now today I tried a larger flip top (grolsch) and it was good, almost no yeast taste. Does bottle size sometimes change taste?

Thanks 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Bottle size
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:30:51 am »
No but color of the glass does. Clear or green let light in which makes the beer lightstruck. Skunky. When its very slight it may seem like yeast. But as it increases you will see why they call it skunk.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:49 am »
Time helps. If they tasted yeasty and now they don't I'm guessing the suspended heat has settled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 07:06:42 am »
I think its time in this case. Both bottles were green and the yeast flavor decreased with age. I think the yeast wasn't settled enough yet. Btw its still OK to use green bottles but store them in a closed box or at least put a towel over them.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline joshthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 05:43:32 pm »
I have had some funky beer from an uncovered carboy that tasted like you described. Ended up tossing almost half the batch, but that was my first and have not had the problem since. I would try and make sure those green bottles are in a dark place or just work to replaced them with brown glass. I always keep brown bottles and even keep extras just in case I need some replacements.