Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flavor hops for American Brown Ale?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Flavor hops for American Brown Ale?
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:41:34 pm »
I am working on an entirely new recipe for an American Brown Ale.  The BJCP guidelines mention light to moderate citrusy hop character.  I want the beer to be balanced in favor of maltiness, but I do want some of that citrusy hop showing through.

So, in a five gallon batch, which hop and how much of it would you recommend for a late addition and dry-hopping?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Flavor hops for American Brown Ale?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:46:26 pm »
I like Northern Brewer with Cascade. The woodiness of the the NB is a very nice compliment to the muted roastiness of a brown. The Cascade lets you know its American. This is the Pete's Wicked Brown approach
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:47:27 pm »
Thanks Martin!  I like your thinking.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:54:39 pm »
+1 to NB and Cascade. I have a Mike (Tasty) McDole - type American Brown on tap now finished with those hops (1.069ish). And per his approach I dry hopped it with Centennial. It's a really good beer. Best fall beer I've made in awhile.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:56:31 pm »

+1 to NB and Cascade. I have a Mike (Tasty) McDole - type American Brown on tap now finished with those hops (1.069ish). And per his approach I dry hopped it with Centennial. It's a really good beer. Best fall beer I've made in awhile.
My keg just kicked.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:12 pm »

My keg just kicked.

About 2/3 kicked for mine. Hoping for a magic keg - probably not happening this time.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:46:40 am »

I just tapped my Janet's Brown last week.  Stop over and we can schwill a few! 

I could see this recipe also maybe benefitting from some amarillo or even piney/dank simcoe to a tad as well along with the cascades in the finish. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:56:32 am »

I just tapped my Janet's Brown last week.  Stop over and we can schwill a few! 

I could see this recipe also maybe benefitting from some amarillo or even piney/dank simcoe to a tad as well along with the cascades in the finish. 

Sounds like a winner !  I love the recipe as is (though I cut back on carapils) but it's a great base to experiment with. I used Centennial dry this time, and IIRC Steve in Tx just used Mosaic and something else dry in his. Good stuff.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:45 am »
JBA is great, but I do like the amarillo late in my own recipe.  mosaic might do well here too.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:03:09 pm »
...IIRC Steve in Tx just used Mosaic and something else dry in his. Good stuff.

Yeah and I just about doubled the late and dry hop additions including some Cascade and Mosaic in the dry.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:05:08 pm »
Yeah, I increased the late Cascade (close to double) and used 4 oz of Centennial dry. Mighty fine.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 12:16:06 pm »
I use Willamette in my Am. brown for flavor.  About the only thing I like them for.  I finish that beer with an oz. of Chinook at flameout.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell