Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Incremental step to RIMS  (Read 1608 times)

Offline stufr67

• 1st Kit
Incremental step to RIMS
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:44:25 pm »
I have a standard cooler setup for all grain brewing.  I was thinking of adding a pump.  As an incremental step I was thinking of using my brew pot as the RIMS direct fire heating.  I would use the pump to circulate through the mash cooler and back into the brew pot.  I would start with the full amount of water and just slowly step through temperatures that way and eventually just not push back into the mash, collecting the full boil in the pot.  Other than diluting the enzymes more since its effectively a very thin mash, is there another reason not to do this?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Incremental step to RIMS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33:07 am »
Before the reasons not to, what is the reason to do it? What are you hoping to accomplish?

If I had a kettle with a false bottom (which I do) I would just mash in it and recirculate with the pump to keep the wort moving away from the hot bottom and to keep it flowing through the grain bed. You'll find it takes a very low flame to hold mash temps with this method. If it's hot out maybe no flame at times. I CAN do steps with it, but I'm not finding a real need to.

If I had a cooler mash tun, which I have never had, I would just use it normal style and vorlauf with a pitcher.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:40:10 am by klickitat jim »

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:07:07 am »
While the need to step through temperatures is generally unnecessary in modern brewing, the ability to target, hit, and maintain a certain mash temp is a very useful effect of the approach you mention. In addition, it has been proven that creating a truly homogeneous condition in a mash tun via mixing is VERY difficult...if not impossible. It turns out that it is far easier to move and mix the liquid than it is to move and mix the solid media. So moving to a pumped system will provide that benefit.

Then one thing I would caution is that the system needs to include good measures that avoid heat loss. The system needs to be capable of maintaining that target temperature without resorting to overheating the wort in the kettle. Remember that the enzymes that are working on the wort are in the liquid, not the solids. If you overheat the wort in the kettle, you will damage or alter the enzymatic activity. 

Finally, with the system you suggest above, it should be fairly easy to perform a mash-out temperature step  that can add a couple of Brix to the wort strength and that can improve your overall efficiency. Mashing-out is a PITA for most homebrewers, but your system could make it much easier and advisable. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline stufr67

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:37:23 am »
Temperature control, mash density (enzyme density) and a good mash out are my primary concern.  I think I will use it to step temps, if the recipe or my mood calls for it.  Most importantly, I will start to recirculate to get to mash out.  Then I don't have to worry about thinning out the enzymes and I can loosen up all the sugars.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
I have done direct heat step mashes (with a mash out) with success, but I have just constantly stirred and recirculated using a gallon pitcher at a slow drawoff rate.  It works but its work.  A pump sounds like a good way to go.  Why did I do the step mash?  A pro told me that the flavor of a Helles is improved going that route (protein rest included).  I am waiting on the results...still in primary for another week.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"