Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Allergic to Judy's Brown Ale?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
Allergic to Judy's Brown Ale?
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »
I've been making my Daughter a special Brown Ale, for about 15 years.  She and I adjusted the recipe to just what she wants.  She is allergic to the last batch!  I had some of the previous batch for comparison, and they're just fine, we repeated the comparison, and it's consistent.  Most of the ingredients were identical.  The only thing that appears to be different is the yeast.  I always used Chico yeast, either 1056 or US-05, but on this last batch, I used a repitch of WLP007 English Ale Yeast, from a local BrewPub.  Is it reasonable that this yeast could cause an allergenic reaction?   Anyone have a similar experience?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:23:17 pm by dking3 »
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Allergic to Judy's Brown Ale?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:27:59 pm »
I think it is possible that there is some ester/compound that 007 produces more of than 001/1056 to a level that it causes an adverse reaction to her, sure.

not sure what the reaction was, but if its not dangerous, i would see if some other beers cause the same reaction - perhaps a growler from the brewery you got it from. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »
First the disclaimer...I am not a doctor.  That said, I have to admit it seems kinda far fetched.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »
She could try something brewed with that yeast from the pub. Otherwise, its certainly not something I'd have expected ... but??
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »
could be diacetyl.

the correct advice is to seek medical guidance. but the imitation butter flavor you can buy in the spice isle or even movie theatre popcorn would have at least as much as your beer. does she react to those things?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »
Could basically be anything:
http://www.md-health.com/Beer-Allergy.html
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline BrewBama

Allergic to Judy's Brown Ale?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:23:48 pm »

Whodathunkit: if all else was the same-

"Yeasts

Although found in low levels in alcoholic drinks, yeasts can cause true allergic reactions. The symptoms include wheezing, sneezing, diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, dizziness, white coated tongue, sore throat, skin rashes and abdominal pain."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:25:52 pm by BrewBama »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 04:31:30 pm »

Whodathunkit: if all else was the same-

"Yeasts

Although found in low levels in alcoholic drinks, yeasts can cause true allergic reactions. The symptoms include wheezing, sneezing, diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, dizziness, white coated tongue, sore throat, skin rashes and abdominal pain."

A few of those are why I do not like yeasty beers! Not all though.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:37 am »
Thanks for all the good suggestions.  I think she has had beers from the same brewery, and he often uses that British Ale yeast, WLP007.  I'm passing all your comments on to her, and we'll see if anything falls out. 

If it's diacetyl, I may fade with time in the bottle.  I'm very insensitive to the taste, so I could easily miss it, but I'll ask a couple good judges to see if they taste it.  I have over 4 cases of this batch, and I don't really care for it, the beer is mainly for Judy, so I hope I can fix it with time.  I'll try warm aging some. 

Thanks again.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 02:39:18 pm »
Could she be developing a gluten intolerance?

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 06:21:21 pm »
It can't be much of a change on Judy's part, like Gluten intolerance, since she can drink the JBA from the previous batch, and has no reaction to it.  She tried the new batch, had the scratchy throat, then drank one from the previous batch, no problem.  We can't experiment too much, since allergic reactions can get much stronger with repeated exposure.

Offline blackislandbrewer

• Cellarman
  • An Ode to Beer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:16 pm »
I wonder, rather than it being a byproduct of fermentation, like diacetyl, if it could be something they brewed with in the batch of beer they took the repitch from. If it is something she's highly sensitive to, it could be present in the slurry at parts per million.
David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read most of the posts on homebrewing forums, I hear them in the voice of the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons"

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:30:55 am »
Update from Judy.  She recently had a similar reaction to an Indian Brown Ale from Dogfish Head.  She also recalls some other Brown Ales from a good while ago, not all, causing the itchy throat.  Sounds like maybe a malt.  Ring any bells?  I was going to try remaking, but not sure what to change now.  I'm taking it to another BIER meeting, to see if the membership can detect Diacetyl or other difference?

Thanks, again for any suggestons.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:34:13 am by dking3 »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:10:06 am »
One thing it could be is a fining agent used by the brewpub (as well as other breweries) that you got a larger than normal volume of in the slurry that caused the reaction.

I'd be surprised if a particular grain is causing the problem if there is no gluten issues. I guess there could be rye or oats or something you don't normally use in the DFH beer but I'd imagine she has come across those grains elsewhere.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 12:04:38 pm »
Whirlfloc B was used in the batch the English yeast came from.  I've never used it, only Irish Moss.