Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wild Grape  (Read 1657 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Wild Grape
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:09:05 pm »
I have some wild grapes from this fall I would like to get out of the freezer. Most years we make a wild grape pyment but we still have quite a bit left from the past two years so I think we'll skip this year.
So I'm thinking of trying some in a beer. Wild grape flavor is pretty intense so it won't go with just anything. My first thought is in a saison. Also I'm thinking of squeezing/pressing the juice out of them and adding them in primary after several days.
So a few questions or invitations for comment: Do I need to boil the grapes even though they have been frozen to prevent an infection (in which case I would add pectic enzyme)? Any other ideas for beer styles? Does the method sound OK?
I'm thinking that unlike most fruits in brewing, a little may go a long way.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline brewinhard

Re: Wild Grape
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »
I think these would make a perfect addition for a lambic.  If they have been washed and frozen, you do NOT need to boil them.  Brew your beer and let it ferment out properly in primary.  Thaw your grapes, add them to a secondary, and rack your beer on top.  Be sure to give a bit of headspace for the renewed fermentation. 

Your saison idea also sounds wonderful...

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 01:28:00 pm »
I think these would make a perfect addition for a lambic.  If they have been washed and frozen, you do NOT need to boil them.  Brew your beer and let it ferment out properly in primary.  Thaw your grapes, add them to a secondary, and rack your beer on top.  Be sure to give a bit of headspace for the renewed fermentation. 

Nice idea

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:06 pm »

Nice idea. I could do a large batch of saison and use that as the base of a lambic I suppose

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:44 pm »
local fathead makes a blueberry honey ale. i could see a concord or such in the same-sounds tasty.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:33:29 pm »

will wild yeast survive being frozen? not an issue for lambic perhaps but other ales???

just curious.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:10:31 pm »

That's what I wonder. OTOH the infection might be a tasty one.
will wild yeast survive being frozen? not an issue for lambic perhaps but other ales???

just curious.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:26:15 pm »
I think most light colored Belgian style could be really tasty. How about a golden strong?

I did a crabapple blond that turned out really well. I suppose it was more tart than sweet like grapes but if you can get it to finish dry it should complement the fruit more I think.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 02:31:52 pm »
I think most light colored Belgian style could be really tasty. How about a golden strong?

I did a crabapple blond that turned out really well. I suppose it was more tart than sweet like grapes but if you can get it to finish dry it should complement the fruit more I think.
The wild grapes I have a pretty tart.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 02:36:10 pm »

The wild grapes I have a pretty tart.

The crabapples I used were not quite ripe so they were very tart as well. I cleaned, quartered, and froze 3.75# and added to the fermenter after about a week. I only left them in a couple of days because I was worried I was going to overdo it. The beer was pretty tart when young but has mellowed a lot. It's funny because it tastes a lot like my graff which is currently on as well.

Another idea would be to juice the grapes and add straight to the primary.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale