Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Chamber  (Read 5421 times)

Offline yohoe

• 1st Kit
Re: Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:43 am »
Chest freezer from Costco + temp control = $200 is the way I went.  I tried looking on craigslist but trying to find a non-rusted/quality refrig for under $200 wasn't available.  I tried a standup freezer but the selves didn't work for the carboy.

My opinion is to get a good refrig so you can upgrade to a conical later or don't need to lift the fermentor up as high.  If you're on a budget and can't find a cheap refrig on craigslist, I'd go for a chest freezer.  Negative for the chest freezer is lifting the fermentor ~4 ft to get it out.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/build-temperature-controller/

Offline JonAyers

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 01:30:11 pm »
I have two converted chest freezers and a fridge I use as fermentation chambers. You need temp controllers on everything AND your chest freezer will need to have a fan inside with a tub of DryLock. Chest freezers typically will have condensation form inside due to the freeze thaw cycle, and you'll get rust and mildew form in the unit. A fan recycling the air will stop the water issues. Your beer will turn out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 02:16:04 pm »

Why do I see a lot of videos of people taking insulation out of the 'fridges and freezers?

Wow, I've never even heard of that!  I use a 14.8 cu. ft. chest freezer with this controller...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=334

Denny, does your temp control turn  heat and cooling on at the same time, or do you have to switch between a heating and cooling mode?

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 03:22:00 pm »
My approach is a separate insulated box that is ducted into the freezer compartment on a top-freezer refrigerator. The freezer works perfectly and holds all my hops and the refrigerator holds all my kegs. The chamber temperature can be varied between freezing and 70F. A muffin fan from a computer is inserted into one of the ducts and a Johnson A419 controls when it operates. I use a 12 gal conical in the chamber and since the chamber is elevated, I just open the tap on the conical and drain the beer into a waiting keg sitting at floor level. It really has been a good system.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 10:13:03 pm »
My approach is a separate insulated box that is ducted into the freezer compartment on a top-freezer refrigerator. The freezer works perfectly and holds all my hops and the refrigerator holds all my kegs. The chamber temperature can be varied between freezing and 70F. A muffin fan from a computer is inserted into one of the ducts and a Johnson A419 controls when it operates. I use a 12 gal conical in the chamber and since the chamber is elevated, I just open the tap on the conical and drain the beer into a waiting keg sitting at floor level. It really has been a good system.

That is one badass rig, Martin. Brilliant idea!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 05:23:09 am »
How do you run the temp control wires into the fridge or freezer typically?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 05:35:58 am »
Mine has no modification, the lid just closes on them

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 07:13:17 am »
Mine has no modification, the lid just closes on them
+1 - This might be easier for those of us with chest freezers, since gravity is holding that door closed & sealed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:46 am »
+1 to Martin's system. I have never seen that done anywhere. Totally efficient use of space. Awesome design.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 09:26:22 am »
Denny, does your temp control turn  heat and cooling on at the same time, or do you have to switch between a heating and cooling mode?

Well, not exactly at the same time, of course, but there are set points for both heating and cooling.  I plug the freezer into one outlet and a reptile heater bulb into the other and the controller activates whichever is needed.  You don't have to reset anhyt8ng in the controller. Lots of cool features like a delay so the freezer come back on after it's just shut off.  The manual is here...http://auberins.com/images/Manual/TD100.pdf
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 11:55:44 am »

Well, not exactly at the same time, of course, but there are set points for both heating and cooling.  I plug the freezer into one outlet and a reptile heater bulb into the other and the controller activates whichever is needed.  You don't have to reset anhyt8ng in the controller. Lots of cool features like a delay so the freezer come back on after it's just shut off.  The manual is here...http://auberins.com/images/Manual/TD100.pdf

Thanks, Denny! I almost bought one at my LHBS, but they told me it had to manually be switched between heating and cooling. Since I work 10 hours shifts during the biggest temp fluctuations of the day, I needed to be able to set and forget while I'm at work.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 07:08:17 pm »
Saw this today, looked like an affordable unit, plenty of space for my ~8 gallon fermenter. Thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM7SHWW/205462818#customer_reviews

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Fermentation Chamber
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 09:43:33 pm »
Saw this today, looked like an affordable unit, plenty of space for my ~8 gallon fermenter. Thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-7-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-FCM7SHWW/205462818#customer_reviews

1 - check out Homebrew talk for a thread on the capacities of various freezers. Many of the more commons units are on there and this one really awesome guy has drawn diagrams of what fits. Great resource.

2 - I am a firm believer in never buying an appliance at full price. Keep an eye out and pounce when the price is right. I got my 8 cf freezer on sale for $210 a few years back. Full price was ~$300.

If you know somebody that has recently moved, the change of address packets normally come with lowes coupon. 10 or 15% off

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 08:14:21 am »

Engineering (noun):

The art of making things people want out of things that one can obtain!  ;D