Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Grain Equipment Information  (Read 2812 times)

Offline yohoe

• 1st Kit
All Grain Equipment Information
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »
I'm looking to switch to all-grain in the next year but I want to spread out the cost so I'm looking to start purchasing the equipment now.  The goal is to purchase equipment that will last me a while - quality is important.

I was looking at Blichmann, Spike, and Stout but there are several additions I have never heard of before and I haven't been able to find information about. For instance, Stout has a Tangential Inlet on their brew kettle and the hot liquor tank has a HERMS coil.

After seeing the Blichmann G2 at my LHBS, I was not impressed and doesn't think it's worth the money (personal opinion).

Where can I find information concerning these extra options and what is important?

Thanks

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: All Grain Equipment Information
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 03:26:37 am »
Technique is important; equipment, not so much.  You can certainly spend as much as you want on gear, but my suggestion is to master technique first.  http://dennybrew.com/
I'm in the process now of upgrading my equipment for convenience.  This will allow me to brew in the basement, avoid carrying equipment up and down stairs, and provide a more enjoyable experience for me.  It won't make my beer better.  If you want equipment that will make your beer better, invest in fermentation temperature control (I don't know, you may have already).

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 05:59:18 am »
Agreed. Good sanitation plus precise fermentation temp control plus a $5 garage sale turkey fryer set up.... awesome beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
All Grain Equipment Information
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 06:09:42 am »
The tangential inlet is an I'm smarter than you way of saying second valve for good whirlpooling.

HERMS stands for heat exchange recirculation mash system. Wort is pumped from the mash tun through a heat exchanger (coil) that sits in the hot liquor tank. The mash tun is not direct fired which allows for a fine level of control and consistent mash temp through the bed.

I agree that you should look into batch sparging or BIAB as a stop gap between a full blown three vessel system. Get one good kettle, a burner and a coleman xtreme.

If you are not impressed with the blichmann g2, I don't think you'd be happy with the spikes. Quality is about the same from what I have read.

Side note - Blichmann was on Beersmith podcast recently and said the kettles are now made in the U.S. I know for me that is worth a little bit extra.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:12:31 am by Steve in TX »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 06:50:41 am »
Dennybrew.com plus good techniques plus temp control will give you much better beer than blowing it all on a Tower of Power or similar.
Jon H.

Offline yohoe

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:13:31 am »
Thank you everyone for the information.  I'm trying to avoid purchasing equipment I would want to upgrade after 1-2 years.  I'm all set on fermentation temp control+aeration+yeast starter+kegging+etc and I'm ready to step away from extract.  Thanks for the recommendation of batch sparging/BIAB; I agree and will be a great step while I'm slowly purchasing the right equipment for a full system.  Glad to hear Blichmann has addressed this question as there were previous concerns about not fully being produced in the US even though it was "Made in the US".  Unfortunately, when comparing the G1 and G2 at my LHBS, the G2 seems "cheaper" (for lack of a better term) than the G1 especially at $420 for a 15 gal non-electric but finding a G1 is a struggle (LBHS only has one 20 gal left).

Has anyone found they need the tangential inlet or HERMS?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:18:45 am »
HERMS is a personal preference. If I were to setup a three vessel system, I would edge towards HERMS over RIMS or direct fire. HERMS has more to clean over the others, and I do hate cleaning though.

Get the best kettle for you that you can afford. If brewing 10 gallon batches, 20 gallon kettles are very nice with the added benefit of being able to brew a little extra for a 2 or 3 gallon experiment plus near zero chance of boil overs.

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 11:49:25 am »

Buy all means I love my EHERMS but it sucks cleaning it. I've gotta run caustic/acid or PBW through it every 3 rd batch or so. It was fun making it but in the end I really enjoy waxing nostalgia with my simple cooler, batch sparge, camp chef 3 gal way of brewing. Check out high gravity brewing the have some fun stuff. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »
Thank you everyone for the information.  I'm trying to avoid purchasing equipment I would want to upgrade after 1-2 years.  I'm all set on fermentation temp control+aeration+yeast starter+kegging+etc and I'm ready to step away from extract.  Thanks for the recommendation of batch sparging/BIAB; I agree and will be a great step while I'm slowly purchasing the right equipment for a full system.  Glad to hear Blichmann has addressed this question as there were previous concerns about not fully being produced in the US even though it was "Made in the US".  Unfortunately, when comparing the G1 and G2 at my LHBS, the G2 seems "cheaper" (for lack of a better term) than the G1 especially at $420 for a 15 gal non-electric but finding a G1 is a struggle (LBHS only has one 20 gal left).

Has anyone found they need the tangential inlet or HERMS?

I've been brewing on my denny style system for 4 years now. The only reason I would upgrade is if I wanted to go bigger (1/2 bbl or 1 bbl). There just aren't really any advantages to your brewing in the fancier equipment.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Franklin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »
i use the blue collar, denny conn batch sparge method....it's almost automatic....
Frank Linkh

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 02:47:47 pm »

i use the blue collar, denny conn batch sparge method....it's almost automatic....

+1 Put me down for the cheap and easy sparge system ala Denny Conn as well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 11:42:22 am »
I've been brewing on my denny style system for 4 years now. The only reason I would upgrade is if I wanted to go bigger (1/2 bbl or 1 bbl). There just aren't really any advantages to your brewing in the fancier equipment.

March will be 17 years for me and today is my 470th batch on the system.  I have 2 other larger cooler of I want to make bigger or higher gravity batches.  I have no desire to change ti fancier equipment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »

March will be 17 years for me and today is my 470th batch on the system.  I have 2 other larger cooler of I want to make bigger or higher gravity batches.  I have no desire to change ti fancier equipment.

No desire to switch from my blue Coleman either. I'd rather spend the $ on brewing more often, and the occasional cool gadget.
Jon H.

Offline mbalbritton

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:04 pm »
Turkey fryer burner $5 yard sale.
40qt boil kettle $50
5 gal Gott cooler with a rubber bung and hose coming out the bottom. $30
Plastic crimp valve $2
Some SS mesh hose for a mash tun filter. $5
Tupperware lid for sparging (leftover from mismatched Tupperware)
1 gallon pitcher $2
Second cooler for sparge water $20
SS paddle $10
And a folding table. $30

And that's about it for cooking.

You can buy a Ferrari, but if you can't drive, what good is it?

I.e. It's all about technique.

Offline ecostello

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:28 pm »
Agree it's about technique, but I will put a plug in for my system - Braumeister. Available in 20 or 50 liter compact systems. Or larger if you're up for it. All electric, compact, and very easy to clean. Plus it's designed to be able to step mash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk