Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Impossabrew!  (Read 4263 times)

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
Impossabrew!
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:50:01 am »
Hey ladiez and gents ..new to the forum here. Im from South Africa ..yes ,metric system brewer  . Awsome forum and great info . Just started with the hoby and love it!  Probaply brewed 5 or 6 brews the past two weeks ...just enuff to realise i have lots to learn . We have a mountain resort with mineral water with perfect ph arount 5.4-.5.2( will have final readings tomorrow .) I have lots of reading to do and questions to ask .  were builing a little brew house so long at home as were still waiting for the licence (takes about 6 months to a year)   

Learning as we go ..looks like contamenation is gonna be a problem zo were building a little brew cave .

Tnx for stopping by . And leave behind some tips of wisdom hehe

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Impossabrew!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:55:31 am »
Welcome aboard! 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:18:36 pm »
Welcome. You will find a few other metric users here. I can handle grams and temperature in my head, by kilos are still rough for me.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:13:40 pm »
welcome! I'm a metric brewer myself. although annoyingly in the states you have to order everything in ounces and pounds.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 01:13:50 pm »
Sweet man , it will come in handy .. well first two batches are priming i have an Sierra navada , eng pale ale , a Weizz formenting . And my IPA only bubbled for a day and it stopped . So gonna second stage it by day 4 and rebucket . Is that normal?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:16:46 pm by Pandabeer »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 01:19:14 pm »
Sweet man , it will come in handy .. well first two batches are priming i have an Sierra navada , eng pale ale , a Weizz formenting . And my IPA only bubbled for a day and it stopped . So gonna second stage it by day 4 and rebucket . Is that normal?

just let it ride man.

bubbles in the airlock don't really mean anything. there could be a bad seal that's letting co2 out elsewhere.
Even if it is done fermenting the sugars to alcohols the yeast is still working and removing the beer from most of the yeast won't help anything
transferring isn't really necessary anyway. RDWHAHB
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 01:23:28 pm »

just let it ride man.

bubbles in the airlock don't really mean anything. there could be a bad seal that's letting co2 out elsewhere.
Even if it is done fermenting the sugars to alcohols the yeast is still working and removing the beer from most of the yeast won't help anything
[/quote]

o ok ,i c so the dead yeast in the bottom wont affect the beer taste after 10 days?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »

just let it ride man.

o ok ,i c so the dead yeast in the bottom wont affect the beer taste after 10 days?
[/quote]

nope. not even after 20 or 30 days in my experience.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 03:27:25 pm »
Welkom op hierdie bierforum, Pandabeer!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 07:38:55 am »
Welcome to the forum. Good advice here from good people.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 12:05:58 pm »
So ive been thinking about the formenting proses . When u use yore chiller in the wort pot ..stiring in a wirlpool formation . Do u guys let it stand for a bit to let the most of the hops and hazynezs settle before u transfer to the carboi?  (Apoligies im deslexic ) or do u want some of the hops in the formentimg bucket?

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 05:21:19 am »

Walls are up ,tomorrow is painting .

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »
So ive been thinking about the formenting proses . When u use yore chiller in the wort pot ..stiring in a wirlpool formation . Do u guys let it stand for a bit to let the most of the hops and hazynezs settle before u transfer to the carboi?  (Apoligies im deslexic ) or do u want some of the hops in the formentimg bucket?

I whirlpool with a spoon and let it settle for 10 minutes or so till not much motion is visible on the surface then I run off into fermenters trying to keep most of the trub and hop matter in the center of the kettle. But I also don't stress about it when some invariably carries over.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:37:18 pm »
I whirlpool with a pump because I have a wort chiller with recirculation. I fire up the pump at about 15 minutes till flame out. It runs until I've chilled then I shut it off and take a hydrometer sample. When the trub in the hydromater sample has settled to the bottom (about 15-20 min) I rack to fermentor with an auto syphon. I try to get nothing but clear wort but I don't sweat it if i suck up a little cloudy stuff.

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 11:05:52 pm »
It makes great sense tnx. Well 2 of the batches im not goinig to transfer to a new carboi . Ill keep them in their origenal carboi . To see the difrence . And when the room is done well be starting with our own recepe . I couldnt belive it but SABreweries sells hops and pale malt to the public . Its so much cheaper than the imported products . So gonna play around with the hops . Southern promise and southern passion looks like a good start.