Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Impossabrew!  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
Re: Impossabrew!
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:46:46 am »
I whirlpool with a pump because I have a wort chiller with recirculation. I fire up the pump at about 15 minutes till flame out. It runs until I've chilled then I shut it off and take a hydrometer sample. When the trub in the hydromater sample has settled to the bottom (about 15-20 min) I rack to fermentor with an auto syphon. I try to get nothing but clear wort but I don't sweat it if i suck up a little cloudy stuff.

klick what kind of pump do u use ?
A link would be great tnx

Also , i need to work on getting a clearer bear . So thats one step . What about cold crashing . Dunno about the gelatine method ...it feals to me that will mess with taste . Also investing in a filter ..worth it ? And what types? . lastly will u forment after formenting ? Or before pitching yeast?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:53:52 am by Pandabeer »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 02:12:06 pm »
Also , i need to work on getting a clearer bear . So thats one step . What about cold crashing . Dunno about the gelatine method ...it feals to me that will mess with taste . Also investing in a filter ..worth it ? And what types? . lastly will u forment after formenting ? Or before pitching yeast?

With good technique, you can get very clear beer without post-fermentation finings or filtration (you will still want to use whirfloc or Irish moss in the kettle).

I try not to suck up too much trub when transferring from the kettle to the fermentor, but I really don't think that has a huge impact on getting clear beer in the glass.

Hitting the proper mash pH, cold crashing the fermentor for several days prior to packaging, and cold aging the beer after packaging have always been enough for me.

If you are bottling, try storing the bottles cold for several weeks after they are properly carbonated.  The particulate should settle down to the bottom, and you can leave it behind when pouring into the glass.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 05:38:29 pm »
I have a cheap plastic Chugger from morebeer.com

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 11:19:27 am »
Just an quick update .. the room is taking shape nicely .. were working to a setup that will benefit us ro reach a goal of an consistent quality beer. 

Ph reading came back a 6.2 ph .
Aparently when theres good rain years ph climbs .. so something ill have to look at .

All the best .

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 12:11:05 pm »
Aparently when theres good rain years ph climbs .. so something ill have to look at .

The pH of the mash is what you want to focus on, not the pH of the source water.

Check out the water knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website for a good primer:

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge

Looks like your brewery is really coming together nicely.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 12:20:12 pm »

The pH of the mash is what you want to focus on, not the pH of the source water.

Check out the water knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website for a good primer:

Looks like your brewery is really coming together nicely.

tnx for the info narc ...ye im reading up on the ph of affect using difrent barley that will help drop ph.  Will give it a read ...so much to learn . 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »

+1.  Good advice.
Jon H.

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 12:44:04 pm »
Interesting read tnx . Here the printout

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 08:43:41 am »
Hey guys .  Just finished proto wash before the family rush ..

Rits running a 40 psi pump with a air pump to create a nice bubble infusion .

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 08:50:43 am »
. Sooo plate filters we do not want to move to kegging how ever i do not mind setting up a keg to carbonate then bottle . Its either that or re pitch yeast and prime . The Goal is consistency here and my biggest fear is over or under carbonation ofc . Keg carbing has had some gushing results aswell but i feal it might be more reliable. otherside if herd of adding a bit of slurry after filter that works great , but im struggleing finding solid ifo on number and date . Anyone have some knowlidge they can share

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »
About time i do an update .

Brew house is up and finally running https://m.facebook.com/mountainbrewingco

Went from crazy to apes*** to zomby mode .. from tuesday im sleeping there again as my glycol system runs on a automatic system ,and buy auto system i mean getting my but out of bed every 4 hours . They qoted me $12 000 for a thermo regulation sytem . Sigh , all in good time . I tried to run it on a timer and by choking the intake taps ..but no luck ..as all is conected on one line .

Any ideas?

all in good time , kegs are not popular in this country so i prime in bottles .

If u ever come down south let me know
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:11:27 pm by Pandabeer »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 06:30:07 pm »
good looking beer garden. nice view anyway.

I like the labels, classic.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pandabeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 08:59:18 am »

good looking beer garden. nice view anyway.

I like the labels, classic.
tnx man yah its in the mountais .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk