Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FictionALE Brewing  (Read 1152 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
FictionALE Brewing
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
Tomorrow I'm brewing two recipes inspired by fictional stories - John Palmer's "Elevenses" Oaked mild (inspired by Tolkien's tales), and a batch of "Gunslinger's Graf" (mentioned by Stephen King in his Dark Tower series.) 

Both of these recipes include a bit of the oak-smoked malt.  The graf will be interesting, since about half of the fermentables come from cider.  It's described as a dry stout with cider. I'm using the recipe from BTV, scaled down to 3 gallons.  This will be a challenge for me, since I'll need to make a batch of wort finishing at only 1.2 gallons, then topping up with 1.8 gallons of cider.  Since it's such a small batch, I'm just going to BIAB on my stovetop, which will be a first. 

I should be able to pretty much run both batches simultaneously - one outside and one inside. 

Anyway, as I was working through all of my spreadsheets, I realized that both of these batches will be fictional beverages brought to life.  Kind of a fun concept.  Both of these should be really nice session ales with plenty of character. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:56:01 pm by el_capitan »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: FictionALE Brewing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:00:57 pm »
An oaked mild would wash down second breakfast nicely

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:51:15 am »
Yessir, it would. Just toasting the oats! 

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:57:23 am »
Awesome.    I'll have a flagon of fiction please. ;D

Same yeast?

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:43 pm »
I used WY1469 West Yorkshire ale for the Elevenses oaked mild.  For the graf, I went with some WY1450 slurry from a batch of hard cider. 

Looking forward to sampling these!