Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: plastic  (Read 1576 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
plastic
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »
I tasted a (commercial) beer yesterday that had a strong plastic flavor. Any idea what that could be? It was barrel-aged, could that have anything to do with it?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
Re: plastic
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »
Plastic is phenolic, usually yeast infection or some yeast at high temps will give this. What beer was it?

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 03:42:06 pm »
Plastic is phenolic, usually yeast infection or some yeast at high temps will give this. What beer was it?

Nothing one can find in the US. It was an Italian beer at a tasting in Belgium. Could that be a yeast that develops during barrel-aging, or is there no relationship?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:56:28 pm »
FWIW, I've had a lot of barrel aged beers and never had a phenolic/plastic-y one. So I don't think it's an inherent issue to barrel aging.  I agree that it's likely an infection or fermentation temp related issue. But a barrel related infection in this case is not impossible, by any means.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:57:50 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:12 pm »
it can also come from chlorine in the water or incomplete rinsing of chlorinated sanitizers
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:48:10 pm »
Phenols are attributed to many things, as everyone else has pointed out. It could be the barrels were left for a long time empty and a wild yeast took hold during that time, but phenols are not indicative of barrel aging.

Basically phenols are driven from a wild yeast (except in the case of hefeweizen strains and some Belgian strains - though it is important to point out that these strains produce more "clove-like" character and are much more pleasing than the plastic-clove-like character driven by much of the wild yeast) or chlorine/chloramines that are present in the municipal water (or chlorine based sanitizers).

Offline epic1856

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:48:40 am »
It can also be the beer lines since you mentioned commercial. There are some bars that don't clean them as often as they should.