Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Year Hops  (Read 1793 times)

Offline HOPPED TO THE LIMIT

• 1st Kit
First Year Hops
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:36:13 am »
Happy Holiday All!! I'm a first year hop grower and winter is coming. I live in NYC and I had to grow my hops in two 4 gallon buckets. I got about 4 ounces dried this first year. Next year I will plant the root balls in the ground, but to preserve them over the winter what would be the best way? Should I keep them in the buckets and put them in my garage?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: First Year Hops
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:41:45 am »
I live in SE MI, and the hops have always been in the ground.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:45:56 am »
Happy Holiday All!! I'm a first year hop grower and winter is coming. I live in NYC and I had to grow my hops in two 4 gallon buckets. I got about 4 ounces dried this first year. Next year I will plant the root balls in the ground, but to preserve them over the winter what would be the best way? Should I keep them in the buckets and put them in my garage?

Thanks!

I'd pull them into the garage... Just as long as your garage stays pretty cold. They need to go into a dormant stage, but if we get a cold winter like we did last year, I'd be afraid of the buckets freezing solid.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:20:33 am »

Thanks!

I'd pull them into the garage... Just as long as your garage stays pretty cold. They need to go into a dormant stage, but if we get a cold winter like we did last year, I'd be afraid of the buckets freezing solid.
+1 - I started my hops in large pots for my first few years. the first year I pulled them right against my house (under the deck) to keep them a bit warmer than where they were growing, but still allow them to experience winter temps. The second winter I left them out in a more exposed area. None of the hops came back for the third year, so I think the roots froze solid.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:54:11 am »
Thank you guys, I appreciate the advice. I'll try leaving them in the garage this year. It's detached from the house and not insulated so it gets cold in there but hopefully it will keep them from freezing.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:34:26 am »
That should work. It still wouldn't hurt covering them with a few inches of mulch.

Definitely get them in the ground when you can get a shovel in the ground in March. Once they are in the ground, you'll be fine in the winter. I mulch mine in the spring and then cover with several inches of mulch to put them away for the winter.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:36:31 am by fmader »
Frank

Offline goobersan

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 06:29:18 pm »
Stored all 4 of my plants last year in the garage (attached). Pretty sure they were plenty cold, even with mulch/dirt on top. No problems, although after planting in the ground, this seasons yield more than doubled !
Thank your mentor
Be a mentor
Brew Better Beer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 11:03:44 pm »
I'll add a few inches of mulch to my pots and throw them in garage with a tarp. Next year I will be planting them in a more permanent spot in the ground. Thank you all for the help.