General Category > Zymurgy

2010 May/June - Brewing Wheat Beer with Intensive Banana Aroma

(1/6) > >>

Kaiser:
Though this is not my article the mashing schedule, which was outlined in the article, is something that I knew about for a few years now. So far I haven’t gotten around to trying it myself and thus haven’t written about it yet.

Unfortunately the author, Michael Elder, was only able to spend a few paragraphs on how that particular mash works.  So let me add a few points. It was first proposed by Markus Hermann in his Dissertation in 2005. The idea was to find a mashing schedule that can increase the ester production such that even the ester suppressing fermentation conditions of tall conicals can create ester dominated Weissbiers. As a result this mashing scheme is not really something that home brewers can benefit from since we don’t have a problem with ester suppression in our comparatively shallow fermenters. But it’s worth a try for the geek factor and I plan to do so in the near future.  It is also a practical mashing schedule where we actually mash down and then up again.

Kai

denny:
Not being a wheat beer fan, I skipped that article.  Sounds like I need to look it over for the technical info, though.

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: denny on April 30, 2010, 08:46:06 AM ---Not being a wheat beer fan, I skipped that article.  Sounds like I need to look it over for the technical info, though.

--- End quote ---

I knew what it would be about after I read the title. As a result I read that article first.

I'm not a big fan of fruit beers which is why most of the other articles didn't have much of my interest :D

Kai

babalu87:
I might geek out on it Saturday
Brewing a Hefeweizen

Denny, between the fruit beers and wheat beers did you just throw that one in the recycle bin  ;D

denny:

--- Quote from: babalu87 on April 30, 2010, 09:16:24 AM ---Denny, between the fruit beers and wheat beers did you just throw that one in the recycle bin  ;D

--- End quote ---

Well, I have to admit there weren't as many "must read" articles as I usually find!  But Kai's post just goes to show that by assuming I wasn't interested, I may have missed out on some technical info that might be useful in other situations.  Damn my prejudices!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version