Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rauchbier Ale recipe  (Read 2335 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Rauchbier Ale recipe
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:31:35 pm »
Hey guys just wanted your opinion on Rauchbier Ale recipe I plan on brewing soon. Seems how I don't have the right set up to properly make a lager I decided to just change it to an ale.

Grain Bill:
-5Lbs. Weyermann smoked Malt
-4Lbs. Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
-1Lbs. Briess 10L Munich
-4oz Weyermann Dehusked Carafa II
-.5Lbs. Weyermann Carafoam

Probably just a single step infusion mash at 152F and mash out at 170F
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.013
IBU: ~20
SRM: 21.78
EFF: 70%

I'm unsure on the hops was thinking Tettnanger, or hallertauer, single addition, aiming for about ~20 IBU's
I originally was going to use WLP001 but someone suggested using WLP029 to get that lager like feel. What do you think?
Thanks any help would be appreciated!

(I based this around the BJCP guidelines)
Edit: Added some Carafoam for Head retention
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:10:53 am by IMperry9 »
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Rauchbier Ale recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:27:45 pm »
It's pretty standard for a smoked beer. Not sure you need the carafoam or that you necessarily want the bohemian pils over a regular pils.

Whatever you decide, try to get the freshest rauchmalz you can. The smoke character fades in rauchmalz and 40% of older grain could be significantly less smoky than 40% fresh rauchmalz.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:07:53 am »
Thanks for the feed back, I use the bohemian just based off personal preference really. The smoked malt I got smells great and my LHBS said that he just got it not that long ago. Just started brewing this one today currently mashing,
After some revisions the Grain bill ended up being
5lbs Smoked Malt
4lbs Bohemian Pils
1lbs Munich
1.6oz Crystal 80(for a slightly darker color)
I am also using German Northern Brewer hops and Willamette's because I really like these hops and had them on hand.

I decided to drop the Carafa II because I decided that the color wasn't really that important seems how I am only brewing this for personal enjoyment and the dark color might scare off some my BMC drinking family members.
My kitchen currently smells like a BBQ house!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Rauchbier Ale recipe Update
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 03:36:13 pm »
Update: I kegged this beer a few days ago and just started drinking it today. I think its not bad definitely room for improvement. I think I am going to incorporate 3 changes next time I brew this.
1.) The Yeast I think that the US-05 finished clean but the beer could be influenced a little more by the yeast to add some complexity. Any suggestions on the yeast??, I am willing to try whatever. I would prefer a yeast that will provide some sort of added flavor or complexity rather than a fairly clean yeast contribution.
2.) I think I might up the % of smoked malt just a tad because I feel it would be better a little smokier. Honestly I have never had smoked beer before but could not resist the desire to brew one and I am glad I did (one of my new favorite beer styles) I really want the smoke malted to dominate the palate.
3.) Swap out the crystal that I used for a darker malt selection. I think that some roasted barley would actually go good with this. Either that or some chocolate malt. Any other suggestions?
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 08:53:28 am »
Full disclosure - I do not enjoy smoked beer beyond the first sip.

That said, you can go up to 100% smoked malt in a recipe if you want. You could maybe do something like a smoked Scottish 80/-. Use 100% smoked malt for your base, some Roast Barley to hit your color and a Scottish ale yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:13:00 am »
That actually sounds really appetizing. I have wanted to do a Scottish 80 and a wee heavy for awhile. So just off quick estimates here is what I am thinking
55% Rauchnalt
40% Irish pale Malt(just bought a sack of it)
5% Roasted barley
WLP028 I think is Edinburgh Ale Yeast
And I'm thinking some Nugget hops just for some plain bittering hops
Any thoughts?

Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 10:27:32 am »
That actually sounds really appetizing. I have wanted to do a Scottish 80 and a wee heavy for awhile. So just off quick estimates here is what I am thinking
55% Rauchnalt
40% Irish pale Malt(just bought a sack of it)
5% Roasted barley
WLP028 I think is Edinburgh Ale Yeast
And I'm thinking some Nugget hops just for some plain bittering hops
Any thoughts?
Looks like a good start to me. Keep the IBU's in the low 20's and you should be good to go.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer