Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Asheville?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline ebustin

• 1st Kit
Any thoughts on Asheville?
« on: December 07, 2014, 06:43:12 pm »
Spent 3 days there this summer based on discussion with others about Asheville becoming a real craft brew  mecca.  Personally, it didn't do anything for me.  I found 2 locations that claimed to be "brewpubs" but were buying their beer, and that really bugs me.  Notable was the Wedge Brewery.   Great beer and a fantastic vibe!  I'd love to hit the Wedge on regular basis, but can't justify the trip from PA.

Offline brew inspector

• Cellarman
Re: Any thoughts on Asheville?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »
I haven't been there since they became this new mecca but I do live in NC. They are a big place for craft brewing.  Even the big guys like Sierra are brewing there. Maybe a little research on the many breweries before a visit is in order. 

I live in Charlotte with maybe a dozen craft breweries and have yet to actually visit one.   Had some of their products and reviewed their websites and picked a few favorites to visit based on what they brew.The menu and my impressions of their craft.

I haven't looked at many of the breweries in Asheville but I have not seen any mention of what you discribe in Charlotte brew pubs

Maybe It was just bad luck on your choices with others trying to cash in on the success of the real thing
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:08:35 pm by brew inspector »

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:39:31 am »
Wicked Weed is making some excellent beers and has a great space.  Asheville is very beer friendly and fairly knowledgeable. 
I wasn't impressed with Green Man, but maybe I didn't chose correctly.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 07:24:13 am »
I just have to wonder where you went on your visit this summer?

There are some I'd certainly skip, but most are fantastic. Green Man at the brewery is English Ales and are typically great...but they are English Ales. Wicked Weed bottles their wares and IMO you should skip anything they put in a bottle. Everything in the bottle seems dumbed down. They just opened a second location called The Funkatorium.

If anyone ever needs to know where to go in Ashevegas, just PM me and tell me what kinds of beers you like most.

Another note is Oskar Blues isn't that far away in Brevard and Sierra Nevada in Mills River and soon enough New Belgium will be open near Wedge. Even if the locals aren't your thing for some reason those three along would be enough to visit the area.

FWIW - my current faves in Buncombe county are:
Pisgah
Wedge
Green Man
One World
Highland
Wicked Weed

It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!